FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Fashionisto

Does Anyone Else Struggle With Summer?

Am I alone in struggling with my Summer wardrobe?

I really find it a struggle to put together an outfit that I am happy with on a daily basis.

In Winter, I can step out of the house every day in a different outfit and feel just as good in each one.

Nat

Style Icon
    I totally sympathise. Since getting more serious about style, I actually look forward to A/W, sick as that sounds. I find when it's colder, I can layer, and when I can layer, my outfits are so much more interesting.

Layering in the summer is a nightmare, as I get really hot very easily. Got a jacket on today, but have spent most of the day with it on the back of the chair.

I think in summer, the key is to nail the fit. That helps set you apart. Work is the hardest for me, as I can't really embrace those other touches which I would like to, e.g. going sockless.

Style Icon
    I HATE summer.

I'm ridiculously skinny, so clothes never fit me as well as I like. This is fine in winter, when you can layer so only your top layer (usually a blazer for me) has to be perfectly fitted.

Also, I find summer wear boring. I almost always find myself looking intolerably "ladish", in some chinos, a t-shirt and a denim jacket.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Agree with what you said Nath about looking "ladish". I have some really cool t-shirts with great designs on, but just feel that no matter what I wear them with in summer, I look like a pre-pubescent teen.

Fashionisto
    Whole heartedly agree! Luckily office is so cold I can still layer up with a cardi or jumper, but evenings/weekends are a real chore.

Really?

Lightweight shirt, rolled up sleeves, chino shorts, loafers is a killer.

I only wear loafers in summer - they are ridic in winter - so I always look forward to that

Nat

Style Icon
    Sure. But A/W offers more options doesn't it? The looks are more limited in summer, which is why fit is so key.

Agree about loafers though. I am a pig for my bass weejuns atm. And I do love the sockless look.

Getting into polos recently too.

Vests as well! You gotta embrace the seasons

Style Icon
    I too struggle with summer, for several reasons. It's taken me quite some time to find a summer style I'm reasonably pleased with.

The main issue is really the unpredictable Swedish summer, which can go either way, from day to day and even hour to hour. I leave early for work, and then it's 15 degrees Centigrade and cloudy, maybe even windy. Jeans or chinos, shirt, sweater and jacket or blazer is appropriate to wear. When I go home in the late afternoon, it's 25 degrees, not a cloud and no wind. Even without the jacket and sweater, jeans is too hot for the bike ride home! If you prepare yourself for hot weather in the morning, and dress more cool, you're guaranteed to have 15 degrees and raining in the afternoon, no matter what the forecast said!

I'm also a little bit too cheap to really invest in garments with more summery functions - like seersucker or linen jackets, or thinner wool - because the days where I would actually get to wear them would be about a handful per year.

But, as I said, I'm sort of getting there. I've finally found shorts, short sleeve shirts and t-shirts that I think look good. Sandals and shoes that work in hot weather. There's still a bit of an issue when it comes to office wear though. I don't mind wearing short sleeve shirts to work. I know some people think they're a sartorial atrocity, but I completely disagree. As long as the fit is good and businesslike, and not some kind of hawaiian thing, I think it can look really good. Shorts on the other hand is an office no-no for me. I don't mind others wearing it, but I won't. The same goes for sockless.

Still, I think spring and fall are the most fun seasons stylewise.

Fashionisto
    I'm another member of the struggling side. I have problems finding anything in between the aforementioned "ladish" and the "overly dressy". This is probably because I'm not keen on going sock-less, and I don't particularly like loafers and boat shoes and the likes, which would help dress down a trousers & tucked-in shirt combo (I roll up the sleeves already at least). If I un-tuck the shirt I feel I have to swap it for one that's casual, then throw in some canvas shoes to replace the smarter ones, and I end up looking "ladish" (especially as I do look rather "ladish" for almost 25).

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last