FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

String Vests

Adam Randall's question if anyone else struggles with summer style got me thinking about ways to keep cool, especially when in office wear. One alternative from days of yore that never really entered my mind until just now is the good old fashioned string vest.

I know, I too associate these with seriously old men, or fat slobs with mayonnaise stains on their chest. The fact that a shirt with a see-through string vest under may be the archetypical image of a badly dressed old man, makes it a hard alternative to even consider. It's such a grandpa thing. At least for me.

However, if there's one thing the archetypical old man strives to perfect, it's the art of being and staying comfortable. So I think they may be on to something there.

Has anyone tried it as a serious option?

Fashionisto
    I think a string vest would be hard to pull off. I see it as being quite feminine.............. unless you are the stereotypical fat slob.

Nat

Style Icon
    Marc, do you mean wearing it under something else? If so, I think they're designed to keep you warm rather than cool - something to do with air pockets.

But if you mean wearing it on its own, I'm not sure it's for me. A bit Rab C Nesbit?

Style Icon
    Sorry if I was unclear, I meant it as underwear. I don't think anyone, except perhaps for in a pride festival parade, would pull that off with any kind of dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Marc, do you mean wearing it under something else? If so, I think they're designed to keep you warm rather than cool - something to do with air pockets.
    They're meant to keep you warm? Well, that only shows what I know about string vests!

MC Rage was wearing a black one under a black t-shirt with black jeans during the Chase & Status Glastonbury set, I thought it looked really good.

+ Reply to Thread