FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3

Trend Setter
    I decided to check out the CT extra slim at lunch.

I would put them on a par with the TM Lewin John Francomb it terms of fit and quality.

I didn’t notice much of a difference in fit with the CT coming in slightly slimmer when compared to the exact same size in John Francomb. Collar seems slighter looser in the CT and the cotton is also slightly thiner.

The CT represent better value given that they are only 17.50 per shirt (ridiculously cheap for a shirt) whereas the JC is 35.

All in all I would still put Dalveys slim fit head and shoulders above both, quality and fit wise. It is definitely a slimmer shirt in terms of arms and body and looks more like the Gandy pic than the other two IMO. Dalveys do a very nice slim fit dress shirt too.

Collar on the Dalvey is slightly bigger than the TM John Francomb and very similar to the TC extra slim. Hope this helps.

They are a bit pricer though, something like 3 for 99.

http://www.dalvey.com/
    Last edited by happydayz; 11-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Trend Setter
    I don't doubt the Dalvey quality.. but 70 a pop, or even 3 for 99?! For a good 'going out' shirt, or for something special, yeah.. Never for the office. Maybe if I make partner.. haha

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown View Post
    I don't doubt the Dalvey quality.. but 70 a pop, or even 3 for 99?! For a good 'going out' shirt, or for something special, yeah.. Never for the office. Maybe if I make partner.. haha
    I think 99 for 3 represents good value, I am more inclined to spend more own things I wear every day. I definitely wouldn't pay 70 though, then again I spent 90 on an Eton shirt before, never again!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by happydayz View Post
    They are a bit pricer though, something like 3 for 99.
    I still wouldn't call 3 for 99 pricey. I just bought some TM Lewins a while back, so I'm set for shirt for a while, but next time I'm buying shirts I'll definitely try Dalvey. You've convinced me.

How much slimmer would you say that Dalvey are in the body, compared to TM Lewin? My main issue with TM Lewin is that I find the arms too baggy, even the fully fitted line. They fit quite comfortably in the body though - I'm fairly muscular, so I fill them out pretty well. If it's a lot slimmer, it might get uncomfotable.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    I still wouldn't call 3 for 99 pricey. I just bought some TM Lewins a while back, so I'm set for shirt for a while, but next time I'm buying shirts I'll definitely try Dalvey. You've convinced me.

How much slimmer would you say that Dalvey are in the body, compared to TM Lewin? My main issue with TM Lewin is that I find the arms too baggy, even the fully fitted line. They fit quite comfortably in the body though - I'm fairly muscular, so I fill them out pretty well. If it's a lot slimmer, it might get uncomfotable.
    Body wise a tad slimmer, not significantly. Sleeve though is a nice slim sleeve.

I prefer their twill cotton shirts to poplin and the twill is a lovely soft less rigid feel.

I believe I'm I a similarly collar-challenged boat as the OP. I'm 5'9, but very skinny and my neck really looks for a 14 or lower to avoid it looking like a primary school child's. It's frustrating that most shirt-makers start a 14.5+ but I guess that's where the demand is.

Anyway, I'd been searching for a long time for a suitably fitting dress-shirt for black tie and discovered that Thomas Pink now make some shirts in my size with 14 collars. As long as you're prepared to pay a little extra (they're a little more expensive than some of the other brands already mentioned), they may well be able to accommodate you. Furthermore, their shirts are fantastic and it's always lovely to wrap yourself in quality.

Prior to this revelation, I had a dress shirt altered in a tailor near Sloane Square (London) but I can understand you probably wouldn't want to get into the habit of doing this for all your shirts. I hope this has been of use.

+ Reply to Thread