FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Tie or no tie? ( lf tie, what colour)

Hi guys. I've got a christening this weekend and got my outfit sorted but don't know if it needs a tie. Can you let me know if it sounds ok without or if it needs a tie what colour.

Light beige chinos
    Light blue button down oxford shirt
    Navy linen jacket w/ pink pocket square
    Brown pointed brogues

Cheers

Fashionisto
    I normally favour a tie but this particular outfit sounds better without one.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by white elephant View Post
    I normally favour a tie but this particular outfit sounds better without one.
    Second. The pocket square will give you the little extra thing, so no need for a tie. Even though a big fan of ties, I think no tie and pocket square is a lot more appropriate for summer "party" outfits (not sure christening and party are interchangeable like that ). Especially if you're not going for a suit.

Christenings are usually not that formal events anyway - at least not the dozens I've been to.

Trend Setter
    Thirded. It doesn't sound like a tie is needed at all.. less is more in this case.

Nat

Style Icon
    It does depend on the context. If it's a traditional church service, then a tie may be expected, especially if you are taking part in some way (e.g. godfather). But I don't think the outfit itself needs one - in fact, that sounds like some cracking summer get up.

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the advice guys. Just to give an update. I didn't bother with the tie and switched a few things.

Went for a burgundy pocket square with cream polkas instead of pink. Ditched the pointed brogues for my grey suede derbies and broke out the burgundy sock. Felt like a really good look and the linen jacket was ideal in the heat.

Nat

Style Icon
    Get a pic on the what I'm wearing today thread brother! Sounds like a solid outfit though

+ Reply to Thread