FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Job Interview in a heatwave

Any advice on how to dress for this? I fear I may show up a sweaty mess in a suit but experience tells me no suit=no job. Any advice would be welcome.

Trend Setter
    You may as well take this as my "opinion" rather than advice, because I sure as hell would not want to be interviewing right now. Having the luxury of rocking up at the office in a shirt and trousers in this weather is amazing.

That said, if I WAS interviwing, I'd be in a full suit, no question. I'd take my bag with some bottled water and spare handkerchief's (just in case I need to mop my brow), and travel in good time. If there is a coffee shop nearby, I'd be in there a good 30-45 minutes before, having a cold drinks and making sure I was as fresh as possible..

I have never considered the drama of interviewing in the heat, so good luck!!

Fashionisto
    Agree with Brown. The key is to arrive in plenty of time, so you can relax and don't have to rush around.

Nat

Style Icon
    And only put your suit jacket on at the last minute, obv.

Try and find somewhere (disabled toilets?), where you can strip down, have a freshen up with wetwipes and deodorant, then re-suit, all in good time.

Good luck.

Yeah, i second the advice of the other lads; dont put your jacket on till the last minute, hanckerchiefs etc.
    I actually had this problem myself earlier this week, an all day affair with an exam in the morning and an interview after lunch. I couldn't believe it when i was finally lead to my interview (i was last to be seen) in a room without a window and no aircon. Didn't dare take off my jacket as the interviewer suggested as i was sodden in sweat. A linen suit is definitely on my wish-list after that!

Agree with all the above... Good luck with the interview! Let us know how you get on.

Trend Setter
    Couldn't you wear a linen suit?

A bit of a thread hijack.. Next month ill be starting an internship for a year and will be working full time; currently I only own one suit and two shirts. Any advice on how many suits, shirts and tie would be ideal to get me through each week. Thanks =)

Trend Setter
    I should start this post by saying I don't work in an environment where I am expected to wear a suit. I also imagine that not all workplaces where a suit and tie is expected are equal. e.g working in banking in the city compared to a call centre in skegness, or in the creative industries.

However, I think going out and getting another four shirts as part of one of the deals at places like Charles Trywhitt or TM Lewin would be a good idea. You don't say what colour your existing shirts/suit is, but I would opt for maybe two/three white shirts, maybe two pale blue and one pink/or patterned, such as gingham. I'm a fan of knitted silk ties and find a navy and burgundy work well and give you lots of options. Next were selling cheap knitted ties a while back, though they were not silk they did the job. If your budget will accommodate it go out and get a grey/navy suit, depending on what colour the suit you already have is. Personally, I would make best use of sales and clearance deals at places such as Austin Reed and Reiss, in order to get a nice quality suit. Factor in extra for tailoring alterations. Are you sorted for shoes?

Back on the topic of summer interview suits - I may have this problem in a couple of weeks. I have a navy linen suit, but for some reason was thinking that would be too informal for an interview? Anyone any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the advice, im completely new to suits and what to wear at work. Yeah I think a grey suit is going to be a definate addition as currently I own a slim fit navy suit; will be looking at more shirts/tie combinations. Yeah, im also in need for shoes, are you familiar with any brands with comfort being a big factor? I dont mind spending quite a bit on these if the look great and get the job done.

+ Reply to Thread