FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Stuck in Blue

Hi guys, I'm a new member, having started reading FB to upgrade how I dress before I go to university in September. Sorry if this isn't the best put-together post in the world, it's late and I'm tired!

Anyway, part of this upgrade is to incorporate more colour into what I wear, and in a slightly more thought-out way. Currently the only colours I wear are grey, white, and blue, with the obvious brown belt and shoes as well as a lone pale green graphic tee. Other than that sole item, the only colour I seem to wear is blue, and I want to try and move away from that, or at least add another dynamic to it.
    I'm white (pale olive skin) with blue/grey eyes and that funny hair colour that isn't quite light brown but isn't quite dark blonde, if that helps at all. In terms of trousers I wear dark navy denim or light brown/khaki chinos.

I'd be really appreciative if anyone could give me some ideas as to what colours I could easily add to my collection. I'm not all that confident in what I wear yet, so I'm no good at bold statement colours and the like. I've also looked at the colour wheel stuff, but I just can't seem to find the right tone or colour (for example reds and dark orange really don't suit me, despite being an obvious contrast to blue).

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

Hey Zimonzi!
    Adding color into your wardrobe can be really intimidating at first! Especially if you have been wearing the same colors for years. It is important to start small at first and gradually introduce color into your outfits, otherwise you will just feel out of your element and uncomfortable and a man only looks as good as he thinks he looks! So at first, don't go crazy. I suggest buying some shirts that are your typical colors that also have pops of color in them. These can be t-shirts or, if you ever wear blazers, you can always add a pop of color with a pocket square or tie.

Once you start adding colors into what you normally wear, you will figure out which colors you like and which you don't. Than, once you feel comfortable you can start to get more creative and try new things with confidence! Hope this helped! And remember, you only look as good as you feel!

Starting slow is definitely the best way forward, maybe adding a bit of burgundy with the blue to start with and the slowly branch out

Trend Setter
    Blue tends to go well with browns, greys and greens. For bolder colours, I'd tend to go for ones that are muted or rich in tone - so the suggestion of burgundy is a good one if you were thinking of reds.

There isn't any reason why you have to have a wide colour palate in your clothes. You could have a very successful warderobe with just blues, greys, whites and browns in it.

As you are thinking about changing to something different though, it might be worthwhile looking up those guides to flattering colours based on your skin tone and colouring that women talk about - you know, the ones where everyone is compared to a season. This will give you a good idea of what colour shades might be appropriate. You sound as though your colouring might be flattered by fairly strong, deep, rich coloured tones. Give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread