FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Nat

Style Icon

New Reiss coat - should I keep it?

I just bought a mac in the sale from Reiss as a classic transitional piece, but now I'm not sure whether to keep it. Would appreciate any advice. Not sure if the fit is a bit boxy, or whether this even matters with outerwear. What do you reckon? Thanks in advance

http://db.tt/WcbCwqmm

http://db.tt/msLCDwth

http://db.tt/4uUejiuY

Trend Setter
    In the 2nd pic it looks a bit on the boxy side; can you get it tailored?

Trend Setter
    I know an overcoat is meant to be slightly bigger so you can fit your suit jacket under but my personal preference would be a slimmer fit. In terms of fit length is good and it is fine across the shoulders.

Doesn't look bad at all but I have seen much nicer, I believe in honesty!

Edit, looking at the pics again the fit is actually good maybe it is the lapel size that is making it look slightly boxy. Looks good open.
    Last edited by happydayz; 20-07-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah I know what you mean. There is something about it isn't there, but can't really put my finger on it. Maybe it is the lapels. It's a quality garment, but not sure if I can get something I prefer for the 95 I paid for it.

Any other comments? Any fans?

Trend Setter
    I really like the color and the fit overall, but what puts me a bit off is the triangular fit. Is the material a bit stiff, maybe? It doesn't look like it's falling, if you know what I mean, but that it stays in shape. Does this make any sense? Though I do think the 95 bucks are well spent here!

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah I know what you mean. It is quite stiff material, but I just assumed macs were like that. I've never owned one. Anyone know if it's likely to soften in time?

Cheers for the comments so far

Trend Setter
    Personally Nat I think it looks a little too big. It's a nice coat, but I think you could maybe put the money towards something that you yourself would be 100% comfortable in / happy with. Nice shoes btw.

Style Icon
    I'd keep it. The length looks great! I agree on the boxy look on the second pic, but that's how it's supposed to be, isn't it? With a coat, you want some room, not just to be able to fit a jacket under, but to have some space for it to breathe when it rains.

Not everything is meant to be skin tight.

Nat

Style Icon
    Argh! Very confused! Got a few days, so will mull it over, try it on with a few different things

Style Icon
    I would take it back mate. You are not 100% happy, and personally I think the fit is too boxy. Macs look best when they are slim and well fitted with a neat double row of buttons.

To me, this coat can't seem to make up its mind on whether it is a mac or a take on a pea-coat.

It does not look bad on you by any stretch, but if I were you I would save my pennies for something I would feel a lot more confident in wearing.

+ Reply to Thread