FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Michelin Star Outfit Advice

Hi guys

I'm new to the forums and relatively new to thinking seriously about fashion.

Next weekend I'm heading to top London Michelin Star Restaurant.

Problem is I have no idea what to expect and more importantly what to wear.

I was thinking of wearing from what I currently own - a white OCBD shirt, dark brown brogues and a navy blazer.

But what do I wear on the bottom half.

Any ideas would be great.

The problem is I'm normally I jeans man. So I'm also open to ideas such as changing the blazer colour to incorporate jeans etc.

Really not sure what it best. I don't want to look too 'yachty' but would like to look dapper and stylish.

So all ideas welcome

Thanks in advance

Trend Setter
    These things can be difficult - you want to look appropriately dressed but you aren't sure exactly what that means. It might be worthwhile looking at the restaurant's website and seeing if they have any dress code or advice. This isn't always very helpful, however. If it is a lunch you are going to then you do not have to be too formal - a pair of dark (unfaded or ripped) jeans might well work. Alternatively, chinos or flannels would work - light brown, off white or burgundy all spring to mind. If it is the evening I'd tend to go more formal and the lighter colours might not be so good. Burgundy would still be on the table as would greys or dark blues (so long as it sufficiently different from your jacket that it doesn't look like you've ended up with a suit that doesn't match).

Thanks for the help.

It will be in the evening.

I was originally thinking a smart pair of dark jeans but read somewhere else that you should avoid dark blue jeans with a navy blazer????

It's also more than likely going to be quite warm, so would smart jeans/white OCBD and the brogues work? i.e. leave the jacket out of the equation altogether?

I don't think the website has a dress code so to speak and we will be guests in the hotel where the restaurant is situated so they might be a bit more forgiving with us anyway?

I'll email them and check.

It appears as though the dress code is Smart Casual?

Shirt, smart jeans and brogues should be fine.

I would go for the blazer too though, then you can rock a pocket square / tie maybe?

I think a navy blazer and jeans is fine, here is a pic that looks cool. If you google "jeans and navy blazer" you should get some ideas.

That's the exact look I was originally thinking.

Now my next question ... can anyone recommend where to get the jeans from.

I'm normally quite generic with my jeans - I like to spend a lot (not too much) as they last but they have to fit right - and work with the shoes - I normally keep it safe and simple - Levi's/All Saints.

So where is a good place to start looking for smart jeans like the above?

I wasn't thinking about wearing a tie or pocket square. Do the two work hand in hand or can one be worn without the other?

Another update to this - the restaurant have just emailed to say "the dress code is smart (not casual and not necessarily formal) - so I think as long as I don't turn up in jeans and t-shirt or a tux I should be fine?

Still need help on the jeans front though

If you're wearing a blazer, you gotta wear a pocket square imo. It will also smarten your look up nicely. Tie is optional.

I wouldn't say those jeans are particularly smart, it's just that the fit is bang on. The length of them is key, the way they have just a slight break gives them a more formal silhouette. It looks like they have just been turned up on the inside in the pic, which again makes them sit on the shoe in a smarter way as there is no visible hem on the jean.

Here is another pic that looks good

I actually like how the jeans aren't that smart, I think it works. Smart casual is such a broad category, you won't have a problem.

As you can probably tell I'm not all too clued up on the specifics of fashion - I tend to just buy what I like and what fits/works well together. Now I find myself questioning what smart jeans are - but I guess based on the response from the restaurant - they don't necessarily have to be a smart pair of jeans - providing I look smart - and in that picture I'd say he looks pretty smart. Smarter than me anyway.

But I'm now seeing details are important - I notice in both the pics posted, the collars of the shirts are quite large ... ?

And I'll go with the pocket square - I'm really against ties - especially when eating - nothing feels more uncomfortable to me then a shirt done right up to the top.

+ Reply to Thread