FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Yeah, I have just gone and got a haircut actually and I think it already looks better (I will post up a picture).

Yeah I completely agree adamski (dont worry about offense) - what particular gym work would you recommend for the face, I barely exercise at the moment to be honest but I have a very thin frame (chest 36-38) so gym work will probably be very useful.

As for skin, I actually have pretty good skin so I am not too worried about that.

Style Icon
    Jesus Christ I can't believe some these responses.

You look your age and (no homo), you're a good looking lad as well. Gym work for the face? Really?

To actually answer the question, a haircut that's shorter on the back on sides may give you a more masculine, mature look. That said, I actually like my hair more boyish and floppy. It's a personal preference.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    My reaction when I read "gym work for the face"

Trend Setter
    Dont think you look young for your age.

A nicely tailored suit with crisp white shirt + tie will add a few years.

Fashionisto
    I don't think Adamski123 was suggesting Seagulled go and strap his chin to a resistance machine a put some high rep low weight work in....

He was simply refering to the posters face shape (i.e. cheeks) and saying that working out to lower body fat would result in a thinner face. The effectiveness of that would vary person to person (in this case since the poster pointed out he has a slim build anyway it probably wouldnt work). But 'puppy fat' is associated with teenage years so it wasnt a completely ridiculous comment.

I do love the idea of a face workout though! Jaw toning and brow bulking!

Fashionisto
    Oh and as for the original poster. Don't worry about it. I look young for my age (28 people think about 20) and work in a formal environment (meetings, dealing with clients etc) and I've found that most people care more about what comes out of your mouth rather than how old you look. The few people who have said something have made themselves look pretty stupid.

How you hold yourself and get your point across says more about your age/experience than your tie/shirt combo!

Nat

Style Icon
    Agree with the last post. "Being a man" or whatever is about how you conduct yourself, not how much stubble you've got. Hold yourself like a man, and talk like a man, and people will treat you like one. And if they don't, it probably says more about their insecurities than anything else. Fuck the haters.

Trend Setter
    Yeah if you can use your chin to balance your whole body weight on a treadmill and slowly learn how to move on the treadmill moving your jaw, that's the best way of losing weight on your face.

Well firstly I have to say that it sounds like you want to workout from a mindset of dislike for your current image which is truly the wrong way to look at it. If you use self criticism and self hatred as your motivation to workout then, you'll only get stressed, anxious and resent your working out routine if you don't get your results after 2 weeks. 7 Essential Truths about Weight Loss Efforts: Parts 1-3 | Psychology Today

As far as exercise goes, depends what you want, build muscle or burn fat? (You can actually do both at the same time with a good eating plan and a good exercise plan).

Getting your heart rate up between 140-160bpm is guaranteed to burn fat, or think of it at a stage of running/cycling/rowing where you have deep breathing at a sustained pace.

Building muscle is consuming the right amount of protein everyday to aid growth and repair, whilst having an exercise plan split over 3 days that can look like: Chest and triceps, Back and biceps, legs and abs. Great demonstration of this from this website! FashionBeans x Maximuscle Challenge: The End Results | FashionBeans

This is a very simplistic view of it, but if I went into detail it would be information overload. I'm going to ironically suggest don't take advice off people from the forums on working out (i.e. Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community!), even take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, who's to know what I suggest is right for you?

But yeah working on building up your "inner psychology" for the work place, that will get you the desired results, read some books on building presence, charisma, body language. I personally recommend 59 seconds by Richard Wiseman that will really help you out with any anxieties you have (known or unknown).

It sounds like you landed yourself a pretty decent job for 21, well done and good luck!
    Last edited by adamski123; 06-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamski123 View Post
    Yeah if you can use your chin to balance your whole body weight on a treadmill and slowly learn how to move on the treadmill moving your jaw, that's the best way of losing weight on your face.

Well firstly I have to say that it sounds like you want to workout from a mindset of dislike for your current image which is truly the wrong way to look at it. If you use self criticism and self hatred as your motivation to workout then, you'll only get stressed, anxious and resent your working out routine if you don't get your results after 2 weeks. 7 Essential Truths about Weight Loss Efforts: Parts 1-3 | Psychology Today

As far as exercise goes, depends what you want, build muscle or burn fat? (You can actually do both at the same time with a good eating plan and a good exercise plan).

Getting your heart rate up between 140-160bpm is guaranteed to burn fat, or think of it at a stage of running/cycling/rowing where you have deep breathing at a sustained pace.

Building muscle is consuming the right amount of protein everyday to aid growth and repair, whilst having an exercise plan split over 3 days that can look like: Chest and triceps, Back and biceps, legs and abs. Great demonstration of this from this website! FashionBeans x Maximuscle Challenge: The End Results | FashionBeans

This is a very simplistic view of it, but if I went into detail it would be information overload. I'm going to ironically suggest don't take advice off people from the forums on working out (i.e. Bodybuilding.com - Huge Online Supplement Store & Fitness Community!), even take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, who's to know what I suggest is right for you?

But yeah working on building up your "inner psychology" for the work place, that will get you the desired results, read some books on building presence, charisma, body language. I personally recommend 59 seconds by Richard Wiseman that will really help you out with any anxieties you have (known or unknown).

It sounds like you landed yourself a pretty decent job for 21, well done and good luck!
    I'm not fat by any standards - I think of myself as too skinny to be honest. I wouldn't say its self hatred but more like I would like to look better, I am not embarassed about how I look (in terms of muscular) but it is aesthetics which motivates me - is this bad?

In terms of exercise I am quite into running but have never really been into the weights which I guess is the bit I need to work on.

I'm not concerned about presence, charisma body language etc at all (I interned for this company and got offered the job so I am fairly confident I can do the job)- for me its purely aesthetics I would like to improve.

How long will it take to see real results?

Trend Setter
    No you seem happy as you are and that's best way, you're viewing it as increasing your current image.

If you like the sound of weight training look at building a training program that targets all your muscles, I think 3 days a week is a good place to start. I think Chest/triceps, back/biceps and legs/abs, day splits are the best way to go because 3 days a week isn't a massive commitment.

Have you got a friend who works as a personal trainer or someone you can trust on giving you appropriate nutrition advice?

Diet is really 80% of your results, that means consuming enough protein, fats and carbs (or little carbs on your not at gym days). Also I really recommend getting a decent protein shake, you may think "God, I don't want to be one of those guys" but they really are great for getting your protein intake for the desired level that day, if not make sure you eat a lot of chicken breast and other lean meats! With all that you'll see changes in 4 weeks, but real results in 12 if you're strict

+ Reply to Thread