FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Navy jumper or cardigan

Can you wear navy jumpers or cardigan with black jeans?
    Would it depend on the shirt colour underneath? Which would probably be white?

Nat

Style Icon
    I probably wouldn't personally, depending on how dark the navy was. If the shirt was untucked, and therefore provided a white "barrier" between navy and black, then it might look ok.

Fashionisto
    Cardigan would probably look better. I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Fashionisto
    Ok, what about a dark navy peacoat with black trousers, would a black jumper or red one work?
    What would you do?

Nat

Style Icon
    Again, imho black and navy next to each other doesn't work that well. If the navy is quite rich, and the black is a bit washed, it might work better. Others will disagree, and many think it's fine to wear black and navy together.

To be honest though, I'm not a huge fan of black, full stop. I think it's quite hard to work with. I find it too stark. Prefer greys and navys.

Fashionisto
    It's just that I saw some nice navy clothing recently, I suppose grey jeans would be more versatile with navy coats or jumpers?
    As for my black clothing, black coats are the only option then or maybe those neutral beige/tan/stone colours like the trench coats?

Fashionisto
    There is a an article on this very site about fashion myths, one of them being navy & black Dispelling Men. That being said I actually think the navy is wasted in many of the examples there, but the middle left one works for me because the coat is on the blue side of navy, so it avoids (as the article puts it) the "black hole syndrome".

[edit]Beige works with navy, but again you probably want something more on the blue side of things, else you'll look like you've mismatched your summer and winter wardrobes.
    Last edited by paul-b; 09-08-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicVagrant View Post
    It's just that I saw some nice navy clothing recently, I suppose grey jeans would be more versatile with navy coats or jumpers?
    As for my black clothing, black coats are the only option then or maybe those neutral beige/tan/stone colours like the trench coats?
    Yeah, anything but black really - grey, lighter blue jeans, stone chinos all good.

Yes, a trench would work well with black. As would a denim jacket, if you want something more casual. Leather jacket too, to channel your rock and roll side!

+ Reply to Thread