FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3

Trend Setter
    Thanks Adamski, I'll try and get a better quote!

Trend Setter
    I pay 30 for sleeve alterations with working cuffs, I'm aware Suit Supply charge more though, as they suggested themselves that I might find somewhere else cheaper when I bought a suit from them. The place I use is where place like TM Lewin, Paul Smith etc direct people, so they seem to know that they are doing. Maybe ask around in those sorts of shops and see where they recommend for alterations?

Trend Setter
    Dropped the jacket off today at a recommended tailor who'll shorten the jacket "the right way" = at the shoulder, for 39 pounds. (For alterations at the bottom of the sleeve he charges 19 pounds.)
    Not cheap, but the best I could find in my city...

Thanks for all the great advice.

Trend Setter
    A bit late, but just to say it is definitely better to get the sleeve taken up at the shoulder.

In answer to the question about the number of buttonholes on the sleeve, the answer is that there is no set number (no matter how many times you might hear the 'have you lost a button on your sleeve?') Four is standard for a suit, however. Three a bit more informal and five possibly excessive. Two buttons looks a little odd and one stylish but very Carnaby Street 60s.

Also a bit late, but pertinent to your question about cufflinks, which is a great passion of mine since a while back.

Don't buy them in stores if you can avoid it, unless they're really expensive. (I'm saying this because I personally doubt the quality of the cheaper store bought ones). Instead, I'd advise you to look up vintage cufflinks on Etsy or Rubylane. On Etsy in particular, you can get a really, really nice looking set of vintage cufflinks for anywhere between 20 to 75 dollars or thereabouts. And they literally have thousands with different sellers.

There's also many (ugh) modern/novelty ones (which I hate), if you like those kinds of cufflinks.

Good luck at the wedding!

nice color and style of the jackit, but i am nor into the tight pants or bow tie

Trend Setter
    Glad you've got it at a better price, let's have a pic when you're done!

Trend Setter
    Got it back from the tailor today. Very pleased! The sleeves could maybe have been a couple of millimeters shorter, but I'm very pleased with the tailor, and will be going back soon to get other things fixed, like the cuffs and collar on my leather bomber.
    I'll post a pic in a week or so, after the wedding.
    Last edited by sam1234; 31-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Trend Setter
    Here are a number of pics. (Not the best pics, just to give an idea of what it looked like.)
    I wore some vintage Danish cufflinks from the 60ies or 70ies from my granddad.
    The bow tie was made by my girlfriend.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice!

Last edited by sam1234; 08-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Style Icon
    Smashing! Good match of colour with you girlfriends dress.

+ Reply to Thread