FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Where to purchase T-shirts?

Good day, this is my first post here and I am in need of some help. I need to purchase some clothing (mainly T-shirts) and need some help with knowing where to purchase them. Now, I myself am not very 'fashionable' and do not really like what is 'fashionable'. Thought I'd add that I'm a young adult and male. When I see shirts that for example have names of places on them (Miami, Amsterdam, etc), old bands (Guns & Roses, etc) I do not appreciate those styles at all (included are T-shirts with half naked women on them because I don't see the point), so, all these types of T-shirts are a no-go for me and I personally don't feel happy to wear the other end of the spectrum of T-shirts, the ones which are kind of humorous, creepy, ironic, etc. So, basically, I need to find some middle ground where when I think of someone wearing the T-shirt, I don't think he's a d*ck or douchebag. Now, I'm not sure if this would be the correct place for putting this although hope I could get some help. Also, I'd prefer something on the T-shirt and not completely plain. I have searched for quite a while, with no success. Also, if you don't understand my point of view, then this thread is probably not for you and also note that if you wear any of the T-shirt types mentioned above, I have nothing against you personally, just my preference.

Thank you for taking your time in reading this, it's highly appreciated.

Sug0rt

Nat

Style Icon
    Where are you from/what shops do you have access to? And what is your budget?

If you just want plain Ts, then just about any high street shop. I personally like GAP, though colours are limited. I've also heard good things about American Apparel.

I've got some good ones from Minimum too, but they were from TK Maxx.

GAP and J Crew make some good t-shirts with an affordable price. They are modern looking and comfortable too. Alexander McQueen also makes a great, simple t-shirt but they are way too expensive for a young guy like you. I would go for a white plain t-shirt from GAP or J Crew.

Thanks for the responses. I'm from the UK, would prefer online shops (need it rather urgently). My budget would be probably 20. Although would extend this if it were a T-shirt I really liked. Thank you for the quick responses, I want to add that I do wish to have something that isn't plain, however, I want something where if it's a referance to something, for that something to be known and not kind of random and pointless (an example was when I was looking through some shops, a shirt had pug-life on it, which I have absolutely no clue what that is relating to).

Also, what do you guys think of metal band shirts? If someone were to wear one (kind of thinking like Hammerfall, Raubtier HAMMERFALL | Resurrected - Nuclear Blast HAMMERFALL | Immortalized - Nuclear Blast Raubtier - RAUBTIER - T-SHIRT, KAMPHUND ) I think that my problem is that I don't look like the type of person that would like the type of music produced by these bands and as someone 'normal' would you avoid someone wearing a t-shirt like this if they looked 'nice' (ie, friendly and clean, etc).

Thank you and I apologise for all the questions although I do not feel very comfortable with the purchasing of clothing and probably don't have that high self-esteem to not be constantly paranoid that I look stupid if I were to purchase things on my own accord.

Sug0rt

Trend Setter
    Try Next for nice graphic t-shirts.

Trend Setter
    My best graphic Ts come from Scotch & Soda and Urban Outfitters. That said, they both can be out there and over priced, so shop for something you like that is on sale.

I would differ from most of the people here pointing at high street shops, purely because it sounds like you're after a t-shirt with a bit more individuality going for it. Places like Primark and GAP, though they sell better designs than you'd expect, will inevitably lead to seeing someone else wearing your T on the street (at least that's what's happened to me on occasion).

These are two online shops I buy shirts and other clothes from fairly often. Some of their stuff may be pricey, but I've never felt ripped off tbh:

http://www.moretvicar.com - A great place for novelty T-shirts and ones with a humorous or positive message. As you can see a lot of their stuff has a real naughty or ironic side to it. I personally am a huge fan of the Satirical news site The Daily Mash, and a lot of the jokes or ideas they come up with end up as T-shirts there. And then they end up on me!

http://www.monsterthreads.co.uk/ - A smaller shop. I saw these guys at a festival a few years back and I just can't get enough the designs. It's very small scale production, yet there's tonnes of creativity, and as far as I can see none of their shirts are over 20, though mind you that's before P&P.

In response to your concern to wearing intense band shirt designs, or perhaps targeted at metal culture, I know just what you mean. I got back from Berlin a few weeks back, and there I bought a black t-shirt with a girl fighting off a bunch of zombies with some heavily gothic writing above it. I bought it cause I thought it was an exciting Tee, I like zombies and I like comic art, but its startling how you can't, say, go on public transport without people looking at it odd or even making the odd comment.

My advice would be to avoid any shirt by a band that may have something likely to offend or scare (even if you personally wouldn't consider it such). I know when it comes to metal that's easier said than done, so maybe if the weather is appropro you could wear a light coloured hoodie on top, or some kind of accessory (maybe a pair of headphones or belt) that makes the whole thing seem more 'alternative' than 'metal'.

If all else fails, I guess you could always try tucking the shirt in!
    Last edited by JayB; 15-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Style Icon
    I noticed a few nice print shirts on Pull & Bear; they have lots of the standard graphic Ts as well as a few with all-over floral and abstract prints I rather liked the look of.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Quote Originally Posted by JayB View Post
    I would differ from most of the people here pointing at high street shops, purely because it sounds like you're after a t-shirt with a bit more individuality going for it. Places like Primark and GAP, though they sell better designs than you'd expect, will inevitably lead to seeing someone else wearing your T on the street (at least that's what's happened to me on occasion).

These are two online shops I buy shirts and other clothes from fairly often. Some of their stuff may be pricey, but I've never felt ripped off tbh:

http://www.moretvicar.com - A great place for novelty T-shirts and ones with a humorous or positive message. As you can see a lot of their stuff has a real naughty or ironic side to it. I personally am a huge fan of the Satirical news site The Daily Mash, and a lot of the jokes or ideas they come up with end up as T-shirts there. And then they end up on me!

Unique t-shirts, original tees, designer tee shirts, illustrated tshirts | Monster Threads | Art for everyday - A smaller shop. I saw these guys at a festival a few years back and I just can't get enough the designs. It's very small scale production, yet there's tonnes of creativity, and as far as I can see none of their shirts are over 20, though mind you that's before P&P.

In response to your concern to wearing intense band shirt designs, or perhaps targeted at metal culture, I know just what you mean. I got back from Berlin a few weeks back, and there I bought a black t-shirt with a girl fighting off a bunch of zombies with some heavily gothic writing above it. I bought it cause I thought it was an exciting Tee, I like zombies and I like comic art, but its startling how you can't, say, go on public transport without people looking at it odd or even making the odd comment.

My advice would be to avoid any shirt by a band that may have something likely to offend or scare (even if you personally wouldn't consider it such). I know when it comes to metal that's easier said than done, so maybe if the weather is appropro you could wear a light coloured hoodie on top, or some kind of accessory (maybe a pair of headphones or belt) that makes the whole thing seem more 'alternative' than 'metal'.

If all else fails, I guess you could always try tucking the shirt in!
    This is absolutely perfect, exactly what I was looking for, looking through the 16 pages of shirts now, hopefully I find something I like. I think I shall stay away from the metal shirts for the time being.

Thank you ever so much!

Sug0rt

+ Reply to Thread