FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

rolling up jeans/chinos

I have been looking through recent lookbooks and stuff and realized how rolled up/cropped pants style became so ubiquitous. I personally like the look and have tried for myself too, even though it doesn't look great on me. There seems to be so many guys rolling up their jeans and trousers like fashion-wannabe, but honestly, they look very ugly with them. It makes their legs stubbier and shorter. My eyes directly go to that part and can't keep my eyes off. I have seen some guys pulling it off really well, but only maybe 1/10 probability. 9/10 looks like a clown or trying tooooo hard. It looks so unnatural! I don't want to blame Thome Browne for this because they do it right. Maybe I am just not so stylish enough to embrace the idea. Any thought for poorly executed rolled up/cropped pants style?

(However, I think rolled up pants + boots combo looks great on anyone!)

Nat

Style Icon
    I agree that it's a bit overdone. Can still look good though. I think it looks better on taller guys, and the cut of the trousers needs to be slim/skinny.

I tend to keep it to the summer, when I'm wearing loafers, or converse or whatever. In the winter with boots is still a bit hipster for me. Not saying it can't look good though.

Style Icon
    I turn some jeans up, partly because I think it suits some models and colours, and partly because a lot of (most) stores in Sweden don't stock anything shorter than 32", while I'm 30". I either have to give it a bit of a turn up or take them to the tailor, easily adding another tenner to the cost. So for me, it's more about avoiding excess cloth bulging around the ankles, rather than the turn up itself.

However, I understand what you're getting at, and I think it has to be done nicely, with a clean straight, not too wide turn up. Not all trousers look good with it.

I think it's as with most elements of fashion. As soon as you make a Thing out of doing something, it becomes pretentious (though sometimes cool), but once everyone starts doing - and overdoing - the Thing it becomes ludicrous (and not at all cool).

And while I for the most part like how Thom Browne dresses, he is overdoing the cropped trousers to a ridiculous degree. Why? Because he's made a thing of it.

I agree on doing so to avoid excess cloth bunching up on your shoes. I am 30'' too, but I just wear 32'' without tailoring. I personally like how my legs look like intestines with tons of creases.

Yeah, Thome Browne does it madly and sometimes looks off. However, the world would be too boring if nobody goes out of a safe zone!

Body build has a lot to do with whether or not you can pull off the look of rolled or cropped pants. When I see a neat guy pulling off this look my eyes are immediately drawn to his bare ankles and shoes. I wear my jeans rolled pretty much all year. Live on the CA coast. The CA classic look is rolled up skinny jeans worn with flip-flops. Great look that I really enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread