FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Skinny jeans

Hi all

I'm getting dangerously close to hitting 30 and got the feeling it may be time to retire the skinny jeans. Just wondered if anyone else hung up their skinny jeans at a certain age for fear of looking daft or still rocking them? Or if anyone reckons there's a cut off point?

On the look out for good slim jeans, any recommendations for places with good price slim jeans welcome!

Cheers

Im hitting 30 too and have not hung up my skinny jeans. I say as long as you keep rock them. keep wearing them.

Style Icon
    I'm 33, and while I've never been able to wear skinny jeans because of my massive legs, I do wear a lot of slim fit. I think it's all down to what you want to wear, and how you want to look. I've never seen 30 as some kind of magic limit, where I have to throw away half my wardrobe and become "mature".

With skinny (and slim fit) there's more a weight limit than an age limit in my opinion. The "problem" with passing 30 is that most of us start to put on weight, regardless if we work out and watch what we eat. And I'm not saying that to point fingers, and say you shouldn't gain weight, because most will and that's a completely natural part of ageing - within reason, of course.

So I'd say you need to hang them up when/if you get that 30-something belly. Up until then, keep wearing them.

Style Icon
    Exactly, figure is much more important than age. I'm a skinny bastard, and I probably always will be a skinny bastard. Until the beer finally goes to my belly, I will continue to wear skinny jeans.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Good points, cheers guys.

I've ditched the beer to try and stave off the belly (obviously not cut out alcohol - I'm not mad - just switched to spirits!).

I've found Uniqlo do really good slim fit jeans, but if anyone has other recommended places, i'd love to hear them.

I think I've finally had to leave Topman behind though. Everything's fitting weirdly and their skinny jeans are probably just too skinny. It didn't help when they posted a message on Facebook saying "pick up your back to school and college outfits." Yikes.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashmore View Post
    I've found Uniqlo do really good slim fit jeans, but if anyone has other recommended places, i'd love to hear them.
    I always recommend Levis. Their 511 line is the unbeatable slim fit alternative, in my opinion. Yes, they cost a little more than most high street brands, but they'll last at least twice as long, and keep fit and colour better.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashmore View Post
    It didn't help when they posted a message on Facebook saying "pick up your back to school and college outfits." Yikes.
    I saw something about results day as well.
    Topman seems to be marketed towards 18 year olds I suppose, they have some nice stuff occasionally but a lot of the clothes they sell are really 'out there' and I gather for young guys to experiment with.

Fashionisto
    I was just thinking about this yesterday because I ordered some pants online and though they are not skinny, they are a bit too tight and come off as slightly skinny which is something I never wear. Found the debate on fbeans a while ago: Men’s Fashion Debate: Skinny Jeans | FashionBeans

As far as skinny jeans go, I agree that the decision depends on your body type rather than on age. If you have a skinny frame, I don't think normal jeans would really work even when you push 30s. Maybe you wouldn't wear skinny skinny, but something slim skinny? But one thing for sure when you're in your 30s, distressed, ripped, faded, or any crazy-looking jeans should be out of the window.

The Confused Dasher: The musings of a menswear fashion enthusiast

I just love wearing Topman Super Spray-On Skinny Jeans, as they fit like a second skin. They are my favorite jeans and I always wear them when going out on the town - they get me a lot of female attention!

Skinny pants are either great or ewwww. Yes, if you get older, it is harder to pull of skinny jeans. As you age, your muscles will dwindle, so your tight jeans will become a girdle for your loose and floppy legs. If you keep your body in a good shape, nothing wrong. Have a young mind, and you will never age.

+ Reply to Thread