FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

So this afternoon I was looking forward to trying on and buying my first white dress shirt from Charles tywitt as there is a sale going on and I have a 10 voucher from them. They also have an EXTRA slim fit range which I assume was a more modern and more of a tailored fit . I tried the smallest size 14.5/33 and to my disappointment it was really baggy at the waist and also at the arms even though I have rather large arms as I gym quite a bit. My waist is 28in. So my question is does anyone know where I can buy a similar quality shirt but in SUPER extra slim size? If all else fails I will need to find a tailor but I assume it will be very expensive...

Trend Setter
    Yeah even CT slimmest fit are fairly roomy. I have had shirts tailored before, mainly sleeves shortened, which I think is about 10-15, similar for making it slimmer in body - not something you want to be doing to all your shirts though.

Style Icon
    TM Lewin's fully fitted John Francomb range are pretty good, though the arms could be slimmer. And I'm a 32" waist, so they might still be roomy on you.

As Alex said, you could have them slimmed in the body by a tailor. I've had a couple of shirts slimmed in the arms and body. Even though not a costly alteration, it adds up if you need to do it on each and every shirt.

If the shirt is already a slim or extra slim fit, would bringing it in more using a tailor make it look out of place? Any thoughts on this?

Fashionisto
    I have an Oxford shirt from Next which is pretty good. Good fit in the shoulders and neck though I could do with it a bit slimmer down to the waist. Should a tailor be able to sort me out easily enough?

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
    So this afternoon I was looking forward to trying on and buying my first white dress shirt from Charles tywitt as there is a sale going on and I have a 10 voucher from them. They also have an EXTRA slim fit range which I assume was a more modern and more of a tailored fit . I tried the smallest size 14.5/33 and to my disappointment it was really baggy at the waist and also at the arms even though I have rather large arms as I gym quite a bit. My waist is 28in. So my question is does anyone know where I can buy a similar quality shirt but in SUPER extra slim size? If all else fails I will need to find a tailor but I assume it will be very expensive...
    I ended up getting a CT shirt after looking for so long - poplin is supposed to shrink, so here's hoping.
    Interestingly, when I originally went in to get it tailored, the tailor warned me off doing so saying that because it is 100% cotton (so obviously 0 elastic) he has seen people rip through it when tailored too tight...

At the moment I'm going to wear it as it is, wash it a few times and if no changes - get it tailored in.

Fashionisto
    Another vote for Uniqlo's Oxfords.

Got a grey one last week, and I can honestly say it's the first shirt I've ever owned that is actually long enough in the sleeve while not being tent-like across the body. Can't comment on the longevity of the shirt, but for 15 it's hard to gripe if it lasts 6 months!

blue oxford shirt from Uniqlo has been superb. Slim fitting and great quality.

Fashionisto
    I had a good experience with the ASOS Oxford shirts.
    Nice fitting and material

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
    If the shirt is already a slim or extra slim fit, would bringing it in more using a tailor make it look out of place? Any thoughts on this?
    If you buy a slim fitting shirt and it still needs taking in around the chest or shortening the arms, taking it to a tailor would improve the silhouette as the shirt does not fit you 100%. It would only look out of place if you decide to wear an ill fitting shirt

+ Reply to Thread