FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Making simple clothes more interesting

Hi all,

38 year old here, trying to grow out of 'jeans, t-shirt with skull on, hoodie' approach to dressing!

The other day I was wearing;

Plain grey v-neck T (untucked)
    Indigo Levi 501s
    Adidas Stan Smiths
    Nice, chunky steel strap watch

I felt good, but that it was missing something. In cases such as these, what can I do to add a bit more interest to the outfit, so it looks like I'm trying to be simple and classic, rather than I just haven't got any identity?

Trend Setter
    As long as you've got the fit nailed down, there's nothing wrong with a simple outfit. You could always throw over a cardigan or denim jacket to add something more. (Depending on the temperature of course)

Fashionisto
    move the trainers, i find them unclassy.

With a good pair of shoes everything will work. Wear for example a well fitting polo, add a watch and you're awesome.
    Also, try to avoid prints and texts, and honor the color and the texture.

Trend Setter
    I would consider swapping the trainers for brown loafers or something similar. Although Matt Allinson (who writes excellent articles on this site) seems to have an unhealthy obsession with Stan Smiths, I personally think they look too 'scruffy' with a lot of outfits.

Trend Setter
    Maybe desert boots or a brown leather shoe with sneaker sole would be better. Or at least have some shoes that are in between casual and smart so you can change around your look a bit. (So you're not the guy who wears nothing but white sneakers). The brand "Schmoove" seem to have quite a few leather shoes that hit the spot between smart and casual. Some canvas sneakers in a darker shade could also work I guess.

Middle aged guys look awesome with white shirts and polos. I agree with people above, regarding footwear. Brown loafers will be stunning with slightly rolled up levis 501.

Fashionisto
    Thanks guys - all great suggestions.

Regarding the Stan Smiths, I think there's always going to be an occasion where trainers are OK, and I think they're a good option because they're simple and uncluttered, and if they're clean I think they look pretty smart (not 'smart' smart, but smart casual at least).

I think I need to increase my shoes options. I've got some nice brown leather brogues which I wear when I'm dressing up a bit, but something like a desert boot or loafer to sit inbetween them and the trainers might be what I need.

Awesome forum!

Fashionisto
    There is nothing wrong with being simple and classic. Simplicity is the essence of good taste Agreed with all of the above posts about the fit and the shoes. The shirt & the jeans should fit slim. The shoes, maybe a pair of brogues or oxford would elevate the ensemble altogether.

+ Reply to Thread