FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Cufflinks w. Shirt & Open neck?

I've been curious about this for a long time...well, that is to say, for about eight months, since my girlfriend bought me my first pair of cufflinks (which I have yet to get to use, btw, due to lack of occasion, and a dirty job. Enough about that.). My question is, is it alright to wear cufflinks to a shirt with the neck open/unbuttoned, and without tie or bowtie?

To me, it seems a bit contradictory, since cufflinks are supposed to "up" the fancy level of a person's clothes a little, whereas an unbuttoned neck to me shouts casual (not that that is anything bad in itself of course. I like to wear an open neck with my shirts as much as the next person.)

Just a random question that I've been thinking about for a long time.

Fashionisto
    Maybe it's like that today but french cuffed shirt can be relaxed as well. Just go for shirts with some patterns or something.
    I guess most of the french cuff shirt are not suitable for that, but it's not because of the cuff...

Trend Setter
    I'd say no, unless you can pull it off.
    I was thinking about the same issue when I saw a guy who was wearing cufflinks and an open collar. It didn't look good. It looked like he wanted to be casual and show off at the same time. It leaves the beholder wondering where the person left his jacket and tie...
    It left me thinking that he didn't really know what he was doing.
    So unless you can rock the look confidently and in style, I'd leave them in your closet until you have the occasion to suit up.

Tristan; I don't generally wear French cuff shirts. I prefer the type that isn't folded (though I have no idea what it's called....) But I guess I could possibly see the French cuff shirt getting away with it, though...well, even then, it still feels wrong to me. XD

Sam1234; Yeah, that's another thing; Can you wear cufflinks without a suit jacket? It's the same thing there, it feels too casual for cufflinks, to me. As you say, it does leave you wondering. And to me, it does look strange.

+ Reply to Thread