FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Made to measure suits

Does anyone have any recommendations for relatively cheap made to measure suits in London? I recently graduated and will start applying for jobs relatively soon. I would like two suits made (charcoal and navy would probably be a good start). My budget is on the low side, '1000 MAX' (less if possible) for two suits. Obviously for the amount I'm willing to spend i don't expect the best fabrics etc.

I am looking for a few things though:
    - good durable wool fabric
    - great fit
    - working cuffs
    - a tailor who knows what he is doing and gives good advice tailored to my needs

Alternatively I could go for off the peg and tweak it afterwards, however I have always found difficulty finding a combination of great material and great fit for my body shape and size.

I have looked at 2 companies, dress 2 kill and rajas, however they have very mixed reviews, since this is a big investment this will be a big decision

ps: any advice on what i should be aware of when going to these made to measure shops would be great!

Fashionisto
    As long as you understand the difference between Made to Measure and Bespoke Tailoring - unless your going bespoke there is no need to go to London.

If you haven't already I would try on a variety of off-the-peg suits cut in different styles, (for slim fit, modern, classic and relaxed) different makers have different understandings of these (Ben Sherman are cut very skinny - the camden skinny fit, to the more refined slim fit suits of Ralph Lauren Black Label, and there are lots of examples of classic and relaxed cuts). Try on a variety even the ones you can't afford just to get a feeling of the cut and drape they offer taking into consideration what makes a great fit and what type of fit you want yourself. Equally it is worth knowing what makes a bad fit and what to look out for, such as collar gaps and shoulder divots, bad examples explained here.

Or the advice on tailoring an off the peg suit here and here.

There are some people that advocate the asuitthatfits and other online m2m services, but from feedback online only the ones where you are properly measured by an expert are better and results can vary.
    Last edited by CharlesQ; 03-09-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added more info.

FashionBeans Staff
    Visit Reiss or a bigger department store and see what they have to offer, get off the peg that fits and then tailor to fit.

Trend Setter
    Would generally agree with above posters advice - get the best you can and get it tailored. Indochino are another online MTM company, but also get very inconsistent reviews. Suit Supply might be worth checking out, as they offer both off the peg and some kind of MTM service, though I have only ever bought off the peg from them.

Nat

Style Icon
    I agree with the above. 500 is nothing for MTM, and though you might get something that fits well, the quality won't be great. However, 400 for a suit and 100 for alterations from a good tailor that you trust, and you will look like you're wearing something twice as expensive.

Fashionisto
    Yes, I think for your price range buying an off the peg that fits as well as it can in the shoulder and chest and then having it tailored would be your best option, because you mentioned in another thread that you have a very slim waist compared to your chest size (the slim fit oxford shirts thread) I would suggest that you start with a slim to very slim fit suit first so it is more proportioned to start with. Make sure you ask what the the drop of the suit jacket is - this is the difference between the chest measurement and the natural waist line around the first button (on a 2 button suit). Normal suits have a difference of 6" (so a 38 chest would have a 32W) Slim fits are usually 7" (38 chest 31 waist) and super slim -8" (38 chest 30 waist).

Thanks for the all the feedback and thank you CharlesQ for the great links that you have provided. I will definitely start looking for off the peg suits and altering it as like Nat says as 500 isn't a whole lot for made to measure and is a fraction of saville row bespoke suits.

Reiss seems pretty popular but their sizes are always too big for me. Ben Sherman sounds like a good start, are there any other suggestions for slim/super slim fit suits? My size is 36" Chest, 28" Waist so I definitely fit in the super slim fit category.

Also any recommendations for suit alteration tailors in or around London?

Fashionisto
    I've just had one made by King & Allen. Been for the fitting and it is a very good suit. It's ready for me to collect/final fitting but not got round to it so no picks.

I went to their London office, tiny little place outside Liverpool Street station. You get measured, they take you through fit etc and you choose your fabric. I went for the most expensive range of fabrics and the suit came in at 599 but they start at 299 or 399 can't remember. Basically off the peg price but tailored to your body shape and preferences with choice of linings, stitching etc.

Another option, I just bought a Holland and Co by Patrick Grant for Debenhams. Great suit at 250. See pics in the 'look what i just bought' thread.

Fashionisto
    If your looking at Ben Sherman suits there is a discount/outlet suit seller called suit-direct that sell them at a very good price they have and have retail stores.

I picked up a Burgundy camden super-skinny fit suit at the Cheshire oaks outlet store for 100 with a Ben Sherman shirt and tie included - while its a good suit (100% wool) I consider it more of a going out suit than smart interview as its very trendy. The higher quality Ben Sherman suits are its Savile Row collection and these are what you want to get ideally (350-1000), I have a Ben Sherman savile row suit off the peg suit as well and it has working buttons and is made to a higher standard. There is a review of its Savile Row store here and here. They do have suits where the lapel's are not as narrow as well in this collection.

The Hammond and Co by Patrick Grant do look very good as well, the whole collection looks really stylish and yet very subtle and classic. There is an interesting interview with Patrick Grant that is worth a read for his advice on getting a suit here.
    Last edited by CharlesQ; 04-09-2013 at 09:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread