FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

First Job Wardrobe

I have previously mentioned in another post, I am due to start a job in the city in a month. This is my first graduate job, although I previously worked for this firm last summer. They are a fairly traditional professional services firm. Dress code tends to be suits and ties when with a client, no ties when not and when in the office shirt and trousers.

Given its a fairly formal environment I know that quality of clothing is going to matter to add credibility etc.

What do I need for a work wardrobe?

So far I have: a suit from Next, black shoes from M&S, a load of shirts I recently picked up in slim fit in the Debenhams sale (Osbourne, Jeff Banks and Jasper Conran and Pierre Cardin), ties, some brown leather brogues (Next, although theyre more smart casual to be honest) and black leather belt. I also have some grey work trousers.

Just for confirm, most of the above I haven't bought especially it's stuff from previous internships and university.

Thoughts on what I need, how much to spend and where to go are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by seagulled; 05-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Fashionisto
    Just make sure you have trousers and shirts that have sharp clean lines and the fit is superb. Think about investing in very good quality shoes (a pair of dark brown goodyear welted oxfords, brogues, derby's or monks and a black pair of oxfords for client meetings etc.) as good well made shoes make your whole assemble better. A navy blazer is a must for when you want to smarten your appearance, which you can dress up with a tie and pocket square and dress down and will be very versatile. For the winter months, flannel trousers and a tweed blazer will keep you warm and smart - layering with a v neck jumper. Also, a nice leather briefcase and other finishing touches that make you more professional (seeing somewhere wear a suit, only to carry an eastpak canvas messenger bag can spoil the overall appearance).

Last edited by CharlesQ; 06-09-2013 at 08:52 AM.

They look good... where are they from?

How much would 'investing in shoes' be roughly? And how much does a decent/good suit cost?

Really hard to know how much to spend.

Fashionisto
    Well its hard to say, without knowing your own budget. The pictures where just examples from MrPorter and the Debenhams Hammond and Co by Patrick Grant collection (the first and last and the bag are from there).

Of course you want to get as good quality for a reasonable price, so outlets and sales might be the best place to start. As you will be wearing suits with clients it might be worth investing in a few good quality and well fitting suits first, and then build up your smart-though not quite formal office wear as well.

For shoes expect to pay from 120-350 for a well built goodyear welted shoes (see the thread on oxford shoes).

Suits depend on your personality, size and shape as to what will best match you, as mentioned TM Lewin, Reiss are very good for high street suits (250-500), otherwise Italian made suits (500-1500) offer even better quality and finishing (Caruso, Canali, Corneliani, Zegna (not its lower lines ZZegna) are really good and often manufacture suits for other brands), then you have Savile Row names that offer RTW suits such as, Richard James and Spencer Hart (700-1500), and the more popular brands Paul Smith etc (600-900). There is a sale on at the moment here for suits from Malford of London. Bicester village outlet is also good for suit shopping for a budget . Then get them altered so the fit is even better.

Shirts, TM Lewin and Charles Tyritt offer pretty good quality for a reasonable price as the shirts you wear regularly will take a beating and its probably not worth investing in more expensive ones for the ones you wear daily (Turnbull and Asser are what you want to get when your a senior exec)

Trousers, you want smart clean lines, depending on your office environment you will learn what is acceptable and the norm (as to whether dark clean jeans and more casual chinos are etc).

Last edited by CharlesQ; 07-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks for all the help.

Do you rate Charles Tyrwhitt suits? They've sent me through a catalogue.

+ Reply to Thread