FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Trend Setter
    I agree it's up for debate when it comes to smart casual. (A debate that is currently going on in the "matching belt with desert boots" thread. I, for example, wear a brown woven leather belt with my beige desert boots.)

For a smart outfit I'd say it isn't up for debate.
    Last edited by sam1234; 09-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Trend Setter
    As I see it you are primarily concerned about whether the plain white shirt is a bit too much?

If so, I agree with the knitwear suggestion. I, personally, would team it with a plain light grey jumper, preferably a v-neck.

That might not sound like a very exciting suggestion and I would agree that it isn't. You are on a first date, however. What you want is something simple, well put together and unfussy. Women tend to want someone who looks presentable, not someone who looks like they spent longer than they did on getting ready. You want clothes that flatter but are not distracting.

Colourwise, light grey goes very well with the dark blue of your trousers, however, and it also compliments the white shirt perfectly. It will tone it done, softening it but still retaining some contrast and a slight suggestion of formality. A thin v-neck gives a flattering, clean shape which matches your body. It can easily be worn on its own or under a jacket or blazer.

Fashionisto
    Wolf, that's my primary concern. I actually thought that belt was fine with the shoes! I've been looking for a nice grey jumper for ages now, I just find that because I'm thin they hang on me and look like a sack of potatoes. I have been looking at chunkier ones but can't find a plain version - can anyone point me to a shop?

Would the burgundy Oxford shirt have any place in the outfit? I think it would be a bit dark for an afternoon in September.
    Last edited by neil; 10-09-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Nat

Style Icon
    Hi Neil. Can you not see the point about the belt being too chunky and casual for the outfit? In reality, most people wouldn't notice this, but this is a style forum, and the comments are consequently (constructively) critical.

Burgundy oxford would work, and a light grey jumper would still be fine with that. In fact, that might work better than the white shirt, not that there is anything wrong with the latter, just that it might look a bit like a school uniform or office wear.

You can get grey v-necks anywhere. H&M should have something cheap. If not, try uniqulo maybe?

Fashionisto
    I'm happy to take the belt point, it was more just I wasn't getting the point.

I was trying to go slightly more casual, hence my concern of the white shirt. I will maybe trial run my outfit with the burgundy shirt and go to H&M for a jumper. Suppose if I am not happy on the trial run, I can think again!

Trend Setter
    Hehe, you must fancy this lady quite a bit! Good luck!

Trend Setter
    ASOS have some slim fit merino wool plain jumpers if you're interested.

Fashionisto
    I am going to try and get one in town, but will look at that if I fail. Hopefully get things ironed out tomorrow and have myself set on a choice of clothes. Will report back! I'm just worried about looking like a bag of bones in a light merino type!

Fashionisto
    I got a handy plain grey jumper for 15 today. I liked the look of the burgundy shirt and navy trousers, so happy with that. Its probably going to be too warm for the jumper tomorrow, and humid too. But long runs the fox in that respect.

+ Reply to Thread