FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Outfit for first date lunch

Gentlemen, for the first time in many months I am taking a lady out for a date, to lunch - and hopefully drinks too. I'm over in Belfast, not always the most fashion forward city but I'm going to a fairly upmarket, if somewhat quirky restaurant. The city is up and coming, regardless of what others in the UK and Ireland will see on the news.

Back to the matter at hand but, I have decided to make a departure from my usual jeans for this. I've got a well fitted, nice quality pair of chinos in dark navy. I've got good quality brogues which are pretty convenient for this occasion. What I'm stuck on is a shirt, because as per the picture below I have a slim fitting white shirt which I quite like but I just think it's going to be too much for the occasion.

Opinions and reviews of my outfit are very welcome and any suggestions for another shirt or to dress down the white shirt a bit are good too. And how will I finish this outfit? I'm pretty new to fashion.

PS. Trousers have a label still attached and need ironed! Needless to say, shoes in the background? Not mine!

Style Icon
    Looks good, but the belt doesn't work, in my opinion.

The belt looks dark brown, correct? For this outfit, I'd suggest either match the belt with the shoes, or make it contrast the shoes. The belt you've got does neither. If you can't find/think of anything, go for a discrete, plain black belt. Or simply lose the belt - unless the trousers will fall off without it. That might even be better.

Good luck with your date!

Trend Setter
    I agree with Marc. If you think the look is too formal with the white shirt, you could throw over a brown or grey cardigan, or change the shirt for something more casual. Maybe a grey chambray shirt. That would look good with a knitted tie and cardigan, and appropriate if the weather is chilly.

Nat

Style Icon
    Agree about the belt - more of a casual thing. You need a smarter one.

The shirt looks like an office/formal shirt too. Maybe go with something more casual, but still smart e.g. a button-down oxford. Knitwear is a good shout too - a camel cardigan or something?

Or you could go more casual again, and opt for something like a polo shirt - good for crossing over from day to evening.

Fashionisto
    I have some of the same concerns as you all mention. So, thank you for the input and I'll take it on board. Further opinions welcome of course.

Fashionisto
    What other shirt/top options do you have? I'm in agreement with the feedback here already, it looks a tad office attire, and the belt doesn't go.

The most important thing is to feel comfortable and confident in what you're going to wear, especially in a date scenario!

Fashionisto
    I am pretty new to fashion - so in terms of shirts I have (that fit) a 1) blue checked shirt which is casual 2) a burgundy oxford shirt 3) a casual white shirt (which when I met this girl I was wearing so I think I should rule it out!) and that white one which is office attire (a point which I accept). Options are not brilliant as I'm in the process of improving my wardrobe!

I would appreciate if somebody could explain why you think the belt is wrong. The only other good belt I have is tan and is quite slim/formal. So, is it just possible I need a new belt!

Trend Setter
    Agree with everything above. I went on a first date the other night and have to admit I wore something similar - albeit jeans, platted belt and an oxford white shirt.
    Above all or anything anyone suggests on here make sure you feel comfortable. If you're going to feel self-conscious because you have over dressed, don't do it. Also don't wear something that you would never normally wear, after all it should be a bit of a representation of what's to come.

GOOD LUCK!

Trend Setter
    Neil, when wearing smart/smart casual outfits with smart shoes it's best to match the leather of the belt with the shoes. The belt you're wearing is a darker brown than the shoes. Also it's a chunky casual belt that would go better with jeans and boots, not with chinos and smart shoes...
    So get a new, smarter belt that matches the shoes (it doesn't have to break the bank, the more belts you have, the longer they last...)

As to which shirt you want to wear, you could wear the check (if it's not too casual), the burgundy or the white one in the picture with some knitwear...

Have you read this article? UNIQLO Men’s Shirts | FashionBeans

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1234 View Post
    Neil, when wearing smart/smart casual outfits with smart shoes it's best to match the leather of the belt with the shoes.
    You see, I don't personally 100% agree with this, especially when it comes to smart casual. There's nothing wrong with wearing a dark brown belt and tan shoes for example as long as the colours of the pant/top all work together. Of course this is a matter of taste and personal opinion, but I don't think the belt matching the shoes is a defining point of an outfit....

Some examples of guys wearing brogues...

+ Reply to Thread