FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Tweed Advice

I have a herringbone tweed blazer, which is a berry colour, think raspberries. I have worn it with dark denim jeans which looks great. However I have just received a nice tweed waistcoat, which is a light beige colour with a complimentary light blue lined design. The waistcoat looks great with my raspberry blazer, so I want to dress them both up by wearing formal trousers as opposed to the smart casual dark denim jeans. My problem is that I dont know what style and colour of formal trousers I need to go for, that will work with the blazer and waistcoat (Berry, Beige, Light Blue) I was thinking maybe just black, but then I mostly wear tan shoes/brogues, so thought maybe dark brown trousers would be a better choice.

Any advice on the colour and style of trousers would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!! Aron

Fashionisto
    As you have a berry coloured tweed blazer and tan brogues in your outfit as well, navy to indigo blue trousers will look great, a emerald or olive green will also work with your ensemble well. Brown and grey will also work.

Nat

Style Icon
    I think green (or any other bold colour) would be too much with such a statement blazer. Navy sounds like it would work to me. Maybe try some things and post some pics?

Fashionisto
    Yes it depends on the hue and power of the tweed, it is possible to get it right though if the tones work.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by aron5 View Post
    My problem is that I dont know what style and colour of formal trousers I need to go for, that will work with the blazer and waistcoat (Berry, Beige, Light Blue) I was thinking maybe just black, but then I mostly wear tan shoes/brogues, so thought maybe dark brown trousers would be a better choice.
    I think black would be too much and I think your uncertainty comes because you are thinking of formal trousers to wear with your tweed - you shouldn't.

Tweed is never formal and your trousers should reflect this. I recognise that it sounds a little odd to suggest that wearing a jacket and waistcoat isn't formal but, trust me on this, with tweed it isn't really. Tweed is the traditional outdoor wear of both the aristocracy and their estate workers - it was designed as practical hardwearing clothing. You might wear it roughing it on the land or out hunting or fishing in the worst of weather - it was not formal wear. In the cold and damp of a Scottish morning wearing a tweed suit with waistcoat is not affectation but still a practical way of keeping the worst of the wind and rain out - which is partly why many Ghillies still wear it.

For these reasons browns, tans, dark greens, dark reds or patterned (houndstooth, maybe, or checked) trousers would all be appropriate. None are too formal. Traditional cloths might be moleskin or corduroy but chinos or even jeans would fit well with the jacket.

+ Reply to Thread