FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Tucking chinos etc into boots?

I have always avoided tucking my trousers into my boots during the colder weather and instead pulled them over the top. However I recently bought some new boots which are wider at the top and my current trousers are all slimmer fitting which means they can't be pulled over the top of the boots. What's your thoughts on the look of tucking trousers into socks etc? I've always avoided it because of the "boyband" connotations. What do you think is it acceptable? with a smart casual look. Any tips?

Style Icon
    For smart casual, no. That's, in my opinion, a straight casual look and, might I add, most people don't pull it off very well.

But don't let it stop you. Try it out, and if you like it go for it!

Fashionisto
    I don't see the point in buying boots just to wear trousers over them. You might as well buy shoes if you're going to do that. However some people will opt to roll the trousers up, or even tuck them into socks (as you mentioned).

In regards to "smart casual", that depends on the type of boots and the rest of the outfit. I would suggest that if you're going to an indoors event away from adverse weather, you should probably be wearing shoes for a smart-casual look. However, if you're going for a day out in the winter and still want to look reasonably presentable, I don't see why you couldn't tuck slim trousers / chinos into a decent pair of brogue boots or riding boots. Preferably the boots would be a bit higher than ankle-boots to avoid excessive bunching and potential un-tucking.

As for the whole boy-band thing, from what I saw that was particularly "high-tops" and ankle-high military boots, and often the tongues were hanging out all over the place so you could hardly call the jeans or chinos "tucked-in" anyway. You might also notice that boy-bands tend to move on with the trends, so you'll likely see much less of that. In short I wouldn't be worried, even less so if you're aiming for smart-casual.

Trend Setter
    I roll my trousers a bit (as seems to be the trend nowadays), in order to show off the boots I'm wearing. IMO tucking the trousers into the boots looks a bit...sloppy? Just my 2 cents though.

Fashionisto
    IMO, only tailored trousers are not for tucking. Chinos and Jeans- definitely!

Fashionisto
    This all, for me, depends on the look you are going for.

Wool / cord chinos, a kinda-casual shirt and the trousers / chino tucked into the top of the boot is fine.

Like someone has said, if you're gonna cover up the boot with your trousers, what's the point. Might aswell roll up your chino, show your socks off and wear shoes / brogues.

I like Sebago's big Osmore boots.

Big no no very chavy

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by "She's lost control" View Post
    Big no no very chavy
    Never seen a male chav wearing boots myself.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by paul-b View Post
    Never seen a male chav wearing boots myself.
    Not even Timberlands?

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the input everyone! as someone who never used to tuck my trousers in I'm looking forward to giving it a go with my new boots! I think the chav connotations can be avoided by: A) Type of boot B) type of trouser/chino and C) the layers used on the top half, adding a river island graphic T would probably conjure up chav type images. However if I combine the boots and chinos with a fairly rugged plain flannel shirt and some similar layers beneath it then hopefully I will avoid the chav look I'm also considering a deconstructed tweed blazer with the look. I will give it a try and let you all know!

+ Reply to Thread