FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3

Style Icon
    This probably isn't the best forum for this debate, but for the record, I don't recommend anti-depressant medication to ANYONE. From my experience, it gets you caught in a cycle which is very hard to break out of. Also, it's worth reading 'Manufacturing Depression' by Gary Greenberg for a more philosophical take on why medication is never the way to go.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    I'd try and give some advice, but I feel everything has been said in a very eloquent and sensitive manner.
    This does indeed speak volumes about this forum. Seems there is a fine selection of gentlemen that frequents this website.

Nath, allthough most has been said, I'll try to give you a spot of advice: Losing interest in something is very natural, and nothing to worry about. My interests, for example, have shifted over the last years from gastronomy to fashion. However, the intense insecurity you seem to be going through does not sound healthy nor productive. I would try to figure out how to regain your confidence, which you deserve as the talented young man you seem to be.
    Part of growing up is figuring out what you want and what is good for you. Sometimes something can bring you down, and it can be hard to put your finger on it. It could be anything from the place you live to your love life or a longing for more excitement in your life, like a backpacking adventure in an exotic location...
    In life everyone embarks on their personal pursuit of happiness, and for some it can be bit more complex than others...

Good luck on your quest!

Trend Setter
    PS a person with a passion for fashion is therefor not a shallow person. Your character is not defined by your interests. Judging by this thread, I can hardly call anyone here inconsiderate, unkind or shallow.

Fashionisto
    Nath6644: Hope you have already felt better. I read the entire thread, and all the posts are are spot-on. I think when it comes to fashion or just any other things in life we're interested in, there are ebbs and flows. Believe it or not, I blog about fashion but went through the exact same thing about a month ago. I didn't feel like dressing up at all everyday, which was really alarming (I used to live in NYC where you couldn't throw an iPhone without hitting at least one dandy. Then I decamped to my home country in South East Asia where fashion is almost non-existent. 95% of people are too busy making end meets while 5% filthy rich are obsessed with disastrous logo-y stuff. I survived that, though) I realized for me, the issue wasn't really about clothes. The root cause was really me being sort of unhappy with some other aspects of life. Quarter life crisis, I guess. Based on my experience, the first thing that would help you get out of that rut is to exercise everyday. I'm dead serious. I can't stress this enough. Whatever happens, you go to the gym/the park and do anything there that makes you sweat. You absolutely will feel better and be able to think clearer afterwards. It's an awesome temporary fix. Then, when you're in a better state of mind, sit and think about the bigger picture. Identify what's going on under the surface that makes you not happy. And then step by step map out a plan to change that. Remember, step-by-step. Rome isn't built in a day, so you take it one at a time and be patient. All the negativity won't last forever. Also, I know this sounds trite but accept your differences, be it your self-image or your ways of thinking etc. The last thing you want is to be like everyone, especially if you want to pursue something creative. Again, g'luck and let us know how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread