FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Jean Staples

Good morning,
    I was looking through my wardrobe this morning and contemplating what to wear when I realised I was a little short on jeans. I have some jeans I regret buying from zara which I no longer wear as they shape/colour have changed quite noticeably.

Skinny Indigo Jeans-Abercrombie, really well made .Slim but not tight
    Burgundy Topman Stretch Skinny- Love these jeans, they're quality is just ok though now on my second pair.
    Topman stretch skinny plain black- Basic black jeans,not mad on the fit. I had to buy a size up as they don't have as much stretch as their other stretch jeans.

These are what I wear 90% of time, what would you guys add as staples?

Many thanks

Jonathan

Trend Setter
    maybe a pair of grey jeans?

Nat

Style Icon
    I wear jeans less and less tbh. Don't get me wrong - they are still a staple, but I find myself incorporating other types of trousers into my outfits a lot more. Do you feel you have this covered, or really not interested in them?

I'm thinking of chinos, slim fit cords, even woolen trousers... Can all be dressed up or down.

Style Icon
    I think we need 3 pairs:

One black pair
    One raw denim pair
    One raw denim pair which have been broken in (2+ years old)

Having said that I have 10+ pairs, so I've broken my own rule.

Trend Setter
    I would add a pair of Nudie raw denim slim fits into there. I also picked up a very nice pair of Peter Werth raw denim slim fit jeans which fit (me) probably better than any other jeans I own. As has already been said you could add a pair of grey jeans, there is currently a nice pair of Farah grey slim fit jeans on asos for around 45 which I was tempted to buy, so may be worth a look! As others have mentioned I too find myself wearing them less. I think this winter I will try some heavyweight chinos and maybe some wool chinos too instead of the usual raw denim jeans! I enjoy shopping for all of my clothing but when it comes to jeans I find it a minefield, in that if you stray away from staples such as raw denim then there are so many other choices! I also find the fit a big issue with most of the cheaper brands. These are the things that have led me onto different trousers!

Fashionisto
    I second a nice pair of grey jeans (try Levi's). Really versatile. And I completely agree with you Abercrombie jeans are really good given their prices (I always bought them on sale) while the Zara pair is so...meh.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the responses. Some interesting points. Unfortunately green just does not suit me .. I have plenty of options in trouser department, but after being on an internship for a year I'm trying to add some casual wear to my wardrobe for my final year at university. I've been used to wearing smart casual for the past year and trying to transition back now. Heavy chinos might not be a bad option though, where would one find some nice ones?

Trend Setter
    For chinos I have tried most brands (including the expensive ones), but this is one case where I stick with Asos's own. I have found the fit to be great on me and the quality certainly isn't bad for the price of around 25. I have also found that since they are cheaper its possible to get a wider selection of colours and alternate them more often!

Fashionisto
    I'm not sure if you have heard of a German brand named Closed, but check them out. Their chinos are top-notch (made in Italy), I'm quite addicted. Wait for the sales because then their stuff are quite affordable.

Fashionisto
    I'm a massive denim head, at one point a couple of years ago I'd accumulated over 50pairs.

As for staples, for me, denim is the perfect compromise between casual and smart. They also have more 'depth' than trousers IMO, as there's a greater emphasis on construction, and the fabric, especially on the more premium brands. Don't get me wrong, I love mixing the old wardrobe with chinos/trousers but if I had to choose, it would be denims all the time.

For versatility, it's important to have at least 3/4 good solid washes, light, medium, dark and a raw/rinse.

+ Reply to Thread