FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Copying an outfit

So I'm suffering from a bit of outfit copying dilemma and I'm looking for opinions on how you've done it. You know where you see photos of and you think I would love to wear that, it gets to the point of even finding the items online to buy and just before you do you think "when would I actually wear that?" This is the point I'm stuck at, I saw a video of Brandon Flowers wearing a waistcoat with a gingham shirt and I really can't think of a time I would wear that!

Style Icon
    One of the problems with looking at good looks in pictures, is that while they look good in a picture, they'd look ridiculous in a real life situation. And while looking at images, be it lookbook shoots for brands or "street style" (which quite frankly is a term I feel have gone totally off the cliff recently, but that's a different issue altogether), can be a great source of inspiration, they might be hard to apply in your every day life.

That said, you shouldn't be afraid to challenge yourself, and try outfits that you normally wouldn't. How else will you develop? And while copying the look might be out of the question, letting yourself be inspired by it certainly shouldn't.

Quite often when looking at outfits, when I analyse why I like them, it's usually less about the individual garments and more a combination of fabric and colour scheme that I find appealing. Knowing that, I can figure out what to buy and combine to mimic the outfit in the style I usually go for, rather than just copy it.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    One of the problems with looking at good looks in pictures, is that while they look good in a picture, they'd look ridiculous in a real life situation. And while looking at images, be it lookbook shoots for brands or "street style" (which quite frankly is a term I feel have gone totally off the cliff recently, but that's a different issue altogether), can be a great source of inspiration, they might be hard to apply in your every day life.
    I totally agree with this, both the real life situations and "street style."

That said I mean I know I can pull off this look, but it's how I wear a waistcoat casually is a real problem for me - I know for instance it will be a talking point, unless I was performing in a band like Brandon Flowers...

Style Icon
    I know what you mean, and I don't know why, but casual waistcoat wear tends to stick out. Even bother people! It is also hard to pull off well, though the Brandon Flowers look really looks good (don't like the belt, but the rest is great).

Fashionisto
    I also find that good looking blokes can pull off nearly any outfit, so us mere mortals need to be a bit careful!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by skybluemark View Post
    I also find that good looking blokes can pull off nearly any outfit, so us mere mortals need to be a bit careful!
    True. Sometimes you have to distinguish whether it's the outfit that makes the bloke look good, or the bloke making the clothes look good.

Nat

Style Icon
    I think a waistcoat is good as a layering piece. Under a tweed jacket, denim jacket, chunky cardigan etc.

On its own, as above, it can look a bit try-hard somehow.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    True. Sometimes you have to distinguish whether it's the outfit that makes the bloke look good, or the bloke making the clothes look good.
    Sometimes your body type can do wonders for you as well (my opinion) if you have that of similar to a model then clothes will always look slightly better because the photos that are rammed in your face in catalogues etc. Not to say that clothes don't look good without being that, sometimes I just get the feeling designers are saying this is how you're meant to look with certain clothes. Like an exclusive club I will never be a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I think a waistcoat is good as a layering piece. Under a tweed jacket, denim jacket, chunky cardigan etc.

On its own, as above, it can look a bit try-hard somehow.
    Yes I agree about the try-hard, and that's how I would feel wearing it. Also you've given me ideas with using it as a layering piece - Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread