FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Style Icon
    Charlie, I agree with what you are saying, but personally I think fashion is like meeting new people. You greet them (potentially with a preconceived idea of what they will be like) and then you begin to make your own assumptions. Fashion trends like this will come and go, and a large part of being fashionable for me involves the ability to assess what will remain fashionable and thus become stylish.

Take Kanye West for example: he claims he had the idea for leather-joggers around 6 years ago, and only recently have they taken off. I cannot, however, see them remaining a fashion staple in anyone's wardrobe, which is largely why they were rejected when he had the idea. I sympathise with how annoyed he feels, but I cannot understand why he believes they are a trend which will stay (at least for men).

Whilst it is fashion-forward to remain on top of trends, I really cannot see the current hip-hop/steet/urban/goth/indie trend of excessively tight jeans/trousers worn with baggy t-shirts and well fitted jumpers a style which will remain stylish. Consequently I think my earlier point holds firm: being fashion forward and ultimately fashionable are not mutually exclusive, but rarely are they inclusive unless the person is stylish.

Style Icon
    You raise valid points, Charlie, and I agree that most people here are more in the style category than fashion forward. However, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Most users and readers of FB have reached some kind of conclusion that they want a more stylish appearance. A more mature style, if you like. Does the fact that we are not fashion forward disallow us to voice opinions on the latest fads?

I can only speak for myself on this, but I steer clear of most fashion whims for a number of reason. Firstly, because they're usually meant to provoke, gain attention by being a bit "out there", which really doesn't work for me - neither privately nor professionally.

Secondly, they're usually very short lived, meaning a lot of clothes will be on the scrap heap or at the back of a closet fairly quickly. This is something I detest about our consumption oriented economy. It's not sustainable, and also I'm too cheap to spend money on clothes that won't last more than a season.

Thirdly, I'm too old to worry if my trousers are too last week. I'm too old to wear what the hip kids are all about this particular day. It's best for everyone if I just leave it alone.

In the case of meggings/leggings/tights, I just find it plain ugly, and it reminds me of the spandex clad, hair-sprayed rock bands of the 80's. It's been done. It didn't work then, it's still the same idea, and it won't work now.
    Last edited by MarcLager; 01-10-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Some great replies guys, thanks. The topman AW 2013 lookbook has some great inspirational outfits. AUTUMN WINTER 2013 LOOKBOOK - TOPMAN

Style Icon
    I'm getting the feeling Lawlessman is on Topman's payroll.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    You raise valid points, Charlie, and I agree that most people here are more in the style category than fashion forward. However, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Most users and readers of FB have reached some kind of conclusion that they want a more stylish appearance. A more mature style, if you like. Does the fact that we are not fashion forward disallow us to voice opinions on the latest fads?

I can only speak for myself on this, but I steer clear of most fashion whims for a number of reason. Firstly, because they're usually meant to provoke, gain attention by being a bit "out there", which really doesn't work for me - neither privately nor professionally.

Secondly, they're usually very short lived, meaning a lot of clothes will be on the scrap heap or at the back of a closet fairly quickly. This is something I detest about our consumption oriented economy. It's not sustainable, and also I'm too cheap to spend money on clothes that won't last more than a season.

Thirdly, I'm too old to worry if my trousers are too last week. I'm too old to wear what the hip kids are all about this particular day. It's best for everyone if I just leave it alone.

In the case of meggings/leggings/tights, I just find it plain ugly, and it reminds me of the spandex clad, hair-sprayed rock bands of the 80's. It's been done. It didn't work then, it's still the same idea, and it won't work now.
    This is a great post, completely agree with all points.

Trend Setter
    I'm getting the feeling Lawlessman is on Topman's payroll.
    word

I also agree with your post about fashion, Marc. On the other hand I think high fashion should be on our radars. It's where clothing transcends from function and style into art. That's how I see it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    For example, I don't think anyone here would say no, if money wasn't an option, to a standard Burberry coat or suit. On the other hand Burberry makes more crazy/fashionable/artistic items for their runway show.
    Now I don't fully know why they do this, cause I never see people wearing these clothes, so sales can't be high. But I assume it's their way of joining in the art form and promoting their brand. For example: in the picture below you can see coats that most of us probably wouldn't wear. Yet some would. They're not that "out there". My point being: where do you draw the line? I believe it's different for everyone. And I wish more people were more creative, daring and open to the artistic and new.

Female fashion is way more liberated than male fashion.
    Men are forced to conform more and therefore don't step out of their comfort zone as easily. Male vanity is considered "not done" in Western society (hence all the headless selfies). I think it's ridiculous how men are "supposed not to care", as we all know full well everyone cares.
    Last edited by sam1234; 01-10-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Trend Setter

I didn't mean to cause offence to anyone on here. I was just frustrated to read comments instantly criticising a product without having the knowledge to either wear them or how they could be worn.

Fashion changes constantly, fashion is heavily related to what is in trend and what is of the moment. That is why twice a year the trends change. I think a lot of people on this website are led to believe that an outfit consisting of a blazer, chinos and brogues is fashionable when ultimately it is not. Now before anyone takes offence to this, calm down. The outfit is stylish and classy, but not fashionable.

I still don't know quite what I'm trying to get at. Like I said before, people who criticize a product without seeing it worn correctly annoy me and that's probably what caused my originally comment.
    Last edited by Charlie; 01-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Trend Setter
    @ sam1234

And let's not forget the hideous metallic trench coats that they have available. I can't see it being worn anywhere in real life, but I guess it's one of those pieces that's just designed to shock and amaze people at fashion shows and such. That's why we have to make a distinction between runway fashion and the fashion that you and me wear in our everyday lives.

On topic: Men should never wear "meggings". Leave the leggings for women ok? /thread
    Last edited by malti001; 01-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    @ sam1234

And let's not forget the hideous metallic trench coats that they have available. I can't see it being worn anywhere in real life, but I guess it's one of those pieces that's just designed to shock and amaze people at fashion shows and such. That's why we have to make a distinction between runway fashion and the fashion that you and me wear in our everyday lives.

On topic: Men should never wear "meggins". Leave the leggings for women ok? /thread
    Would it be the same to say leave the suits for the men?

Trend Setter
    Charlie, I'm with you on this. I'd like to see some more daring outfits in the "what art thou wearing" thread. Ain't got nothing against brogues and blazers, just like to see all kinds of things.
    Do you happen to know a site that covers fashion more than style? I follow highsnobiety on FB. They have a crazy mix of haute couture, street wear, sneakers, architecture, hip hop and pop art. I'd be interested in a site that covers mens haute couture only.
    Last edited by sam1234; 01-10-2013 at 07:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread