FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

37 this year: what is 'ok' to wear?

Hi, first time poster here so here goes...

As a fairly keen fashion follower, over the past few days I think I might have got a bit of a wardrobe issue.
    First of all, a little bit about me: I am of slim build, & turn 37 this year. Over the past few years I've been a bit of an All Saints (borderline) obsessive.

My issue originally really centred around my couple of pairs of plain black skinny All Saints jeans, but now it is a slightly bigger issue - am I dressing too young for my age? I wore my skinny jeans at the weekend, and the thought struck me: I am 37 this year- am I ok wearing these skinny jeans? I also have some military style boots that I can wear with my skinny jeans. Again, are they too young?

Also in my wardrobe, I have some good quality All Saints chunky knit jumpers, cardigans, and plenty of All Saints checked/polka dot/plain shirts and plain polo necks ( I told you I was a bit of an All Saints obsessive!) , which I think are good and will be quality additions to help me take my style forward for a few years yet. I also have some regular fit corduroy trousers and chinos, and some slim (not skinny) indigo/ light blue denim jeans.
    So I personally think stylistically the "top half" of me is probably largely ok with the clothes I've mentioned above, it's just the "bottom half" that maybe needs some attention?.

So what do you guys think? Any comments appreciated! Can I still wear the skinny jeans/military style boots look at my age, or is it time to get them on eBay?

Hi there.

I'm in the same predicament as you. I'm also 37 and I've been thinking to my self. "I'm close to 40 now, how should I dress age appropriately? Should I stop wearing this and stop wearing that...?" I think it all boils down to what you feel personally. Do you feel you look good wearing your skinny jeans? If yes I see no reason why you should stop. There's no set "rule" that says once you've turned a certain age you must dress a certain way or stop wearing certain clothing.

It all depends on how you pull it off. How old do you actually look? How are you built? (body shape) If you're slim, as you describe I see no problem wearing skinny jeans, as long as they fit you right and you pair them with other items which suits you and your age. A pair of black skinny jeans paired with boots and a blazer can look cool on a man aged 37. Skinny jeans, Converse and a hooded sweater perhaps not so much. It all depends...

Personally I've stopped wearing skinny jeans (spray on jeans) and started wearing slim or regular cut jeans. Not because of my age, but because I feel I'm starting to look a bit odd in the skinny cut, as I've been working out a lot lately and my legs have gotten bigger.

I think you should keep wearing your jeans and boots as long as you feel you can pull it off. Don't sell them, just put them away for a while if you're not sure and want to wear something else, then revisit them later and see how you feel about wearing them.
    Last edited by Ken G; 01-10-2013 at 11:00 AM.

It's less about age and more about how you look / feel in them tbh

It comes down to whether or not you are in shape really. If you are overweight, I can't see it looking good. If you are slim as you say, there is no reason to stop wearing them.

Dressing "age appropriate" to me means not wearing young trends, streetwear, hoodies etc. It shouldn't affect you wearing what has now become a classic jeans cut.

The Military Boots could possibly be a bit borderline, but we'd need pics of you in them to know for sure. Just go with your gut. Some brogues, oxfords, desert boots, loafers etc would be an easy fix if you have doubts about the boots. Or even boots in a more classic style; I do think that the military-boot style is perhaps a bit past it now.

Which boots do you have mate?
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 01-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Nat

Style Icon
    I think there are a couple of factors:

- the shape you're in (you say you're slim, so that's not an issue)
    - your desired aesthetic - if you have some indie-rocker thing going on, then skinny jeans fit in with that, and you should go for it. If, however, you are looking for a more refined, mature style, then it may be time to retire the skinnies.

I have never been a massive fan of very skinny jeans. I have some that are super-slim I suppose, and they work, but I think we are seeing a move back to more relaxed fits now. For me, you can't go wrong with slim. It won't go out of fashion or style, looks good dressed up or down, and you won't feel self-conscious in them.

Go with what feels comfortable though pal.

Thanks a lot for the responses/opinions. To clarify 'slim', I've a 32/34" waist & am just over 6ft tall so can perhaps keep wearing my skinny jeans a while longer yet.
    Someone asked about what military boots I've got, I'm not sure how to post pics up on here though?
    If you google "black All Saints cropped military boots", I have a pair of those! I also have a dark brown pair of similar style military boots. Maybe they are now too young for me/style I'm going for- I've not really worn them for a while either. As a previous poster mentioned, I do have a few alternatives to the military boots that I now wear a lot with my skinny/slim jeans & chinos : brogues and generally smarter shoes.

Fashionisto
    As Pins said, skinnys are now a classic cut and as long as they aren't super skinny I think you'll be fine. I'm 34 going on 35 and can see myself wearing skinny/slim for a long time.

With regards to the boots, I think its time for a change. I think as you get older the smarter you want to look, certainly in my case, and think they border on grungy/less smart.

Buy yourself a pair of dessert boots, you'll not go wrong with a pair of those, look good smart and casual.

Yeah I think Desert boots could be the way forward here. Leather & suede & plenty of colour choice too.

What do people think of sort of ankle length 'biker' boots as an alternative to military boots? Are they not really 'classic' in style (i.e. just a passing trend) and a bit too young as well, like the military boot style?

Yeah I'd probably avoid things like that bro, passing trends and too young imo

RE desert boots, while I recognise that they are very versatile and practical, I do think they can look a bit Lame Dad and have never really got on with them myself.

Personally I think something like the All Saints Trap boot would help you keep a bit of edge without it looking too try hard

They are the perfect balance of classic and current imo

I think the military boots you already have need to go mate. They are a bit young for you, and just not really cool anymore tbh. Good news is that you can probably flog them on eBay for nearly enough to cover a new pair.

Trend Setter
    Am also 37 (all coming out of the woodwork!) and agree with most of the advice here.

Am moving away from skinny jeans personally, though I am also pretty slim, 30 waist, 30 leg, 35/36 suit/jacket size.

These FB articles might be useful?
    Dressing Your Age: Thirties (30s) – Part 1 | FashionBeans
    Dressing Your Age: Thirties (30s) – Part 2 | FashionBeans

+ Reply to Thread