FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Mens Custom Made Waist Coat

About a month ago I asked for a good waistcoat for around £50 and most of the replies said that I could not get a good waistcoat for that price. Well, I went to my tailor and they told me they could make one for $80, also known as £50, so that is what I am doing. I know I am getting it double breasted, but what are your recommendations for colour, fabric, and pattern? Also, should I get it with a lapel, if so shawl or peak?

Nat

Style Icon
    Good effort WS.

How about something a bit fancy, maybe a velvet?! A nice rich burgundy perhaps?

Btw, is $80 inclusive of the materials, or just the labour?

Trend Setter
    Just the labour, it will be over 100 when I am done, but still affordable, especially if I don't get a silk back.

Velvet sounds fun, but I am guess I am looking for a backbone piece that will help me go more wild in the accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    About a month ago I asked for a good waistcoat for around £50 and most of the replies said that I could not get a good waistcoat for that price. Well, I went to my tailor and they told me they could make one for $80, also known as £50, so that is what I am doing. I know I am getting it double breasted, but what are your recommendations for colour, fabric, and pattern? Also, should I get it with a lapel, if so shawl or peak?
    Made me lol

I'm with Nat, something audacious like Burgundy Velvet would be sick, and would go with your style imo

I'd be tempted to do something like add a chest pocket / crest combination too

Nat

Style Icon
    $100 though yeah, as opposed to £s? Still a great price for something bespoke.

Can't go wrong with grey or brown tweed....

Trend Setter
    So the response you were originally given was correct? it will cost you more than £50

The thing with getting one in a typical suit fabric will be that it won't look good with any suits, unless it matches. I'd definitely go for a contrast in either colour or texture when teaming a mis-matched waistcoat with a suit

Perhaps a black or brown velvet would be more versatile? It depends on what colour the majority of things you will wear it with are...

Maybe camel corduroy?

Trend Setter
    Defiantly getting a front pocket, got to throw the pocket swag somewhere. I was thinking grey/black herringbone, but you guys have made me think that might be boring. I could go the direction of those sick waistcoats from Gangs Of New York, if you know what I am talking about.

Trend Setter
    It is dangerous territory, though. If I am not careful I could end up with this:

Nat

Style Icon
    It depends man. Is this your only / first waistcoat? If so, something simpler (like the herringbone) would be a good call - a transferable item you could use to anchor lots of looks. But if you've already got a few plainer ones, then go for something a bit flashy!

And to answer your original question - I've not seen lapels on waistcoats before....not sure how it would look...

+ Reply to Thread