FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

The practical work outfit

Not to say I'm working on a building or construction site. But I'm working in a school of all places, it's work placement for my career choices so I'm working with kids who suffer from autism.

My previous work attire was shirts, chinos and shoes - this doesn't work here (except some shirts) as my clothes will get ruined by food, kicking a ball about and dribble (yes dribble that isn't mine...)

So it's a pretty casual work look to be honest, I've mostly been wearing shirt or t shirt, jeans, trainers, with a cardigan or sweatshirt as my top layer. I just don't feel good in this look at all, I want something that makes me look smart but not smarter than the rest of the employees, but I also need the trainers to be practical as sometimes I have to run after the "runners" as they're called in psychology.

Trend Setter
    Jeans/chinos, buttoned-up shirt and knitwear? e.g burgundy v neck

Trend Setter
    yeah I'd go for sneakers, jeans/chinos casual buttoned-up shirts too, but maybe cotton jumpers? they seem more dribble-appropriate than wool jumpers.
    Last edited by sam1234; 08-10-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Style Icon
    Jeans and flannel shirts? Durable stuff.

Cords and checked/gingham shirts? Though I know there's an issue with cords and psychologists. It is psychology you are studying, right?

Have you tried cargo trousers? I'm not a fan of the look myself, but they're usually made from sturdy material, and in a school environment they might be practical.

I was going to suggest some good looking leather sneakers, but they're usually quite pricy, and nothing you'd want to be kicking footballs with.

Trend Setter
    With shoes what would you have suggested Marc? I can have a change of footwear in my locker that's not a problem!

Thanks guys given me some good ideas though

Style Icon
    For jeans and flannel, with fall progressing, a pair of black or brown work boots will see you through a lot. I love Red Wings heritage line, though they are quite expensive. You can find cheaper imitations all around. Then again, good leather boots look great after a few years of proper flogging, as long as you look after them and let them rest.

If you find that too rough, maybe a pair of leather chukka boots instead?

For cords and check shirts, simple oxfords. Not too expensive, if the kids will be rough on them. Get something sensible from Clark's, though avoid the ones that scream old man. These are nice and versatile:

http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20355035
    http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/20348576

For kicking the ball in the playground, have a pair of old trainers in your locker if you can. Playing with kids ruins your shoes - well at least the fun games do - so keep that in mind. You don't want to need to mind the shoes all the time (so, once again, don't buy too expensive stuff).

Get smooth leather shoes. Easier to wipe off if needed. And unless you go for the cheapest stuff, you can always tidy them up with a good shoe polish. Get more than one pair though. If you're in them all day, you'll need to let them breath for at least 24 hours after a whole day of use. Otherwise the leather will soak up your sweat, never dry out, start smelling like cadavers, and ultimately dissolve the leather.

Trend Setter
    Adamski, if you're looking for a nice sneaker that is good for standing on your feet during long periods of time and for going after a runner, I would suggest the suede Nike Pegasus:

or some pig skin New Balances:

Trend Setter
    Nice input on the trainers Sam, I like the Nike's.

Marc - I am psychologist! So I can't wait to bust out the cords, seems like a challenge to be a well dressed Psych. all though it's finding difficult to come across cheap pairs...

Trend Setter

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski123 View Post
    all though it's finding difficult to come across cheap pairs...
    Be weary of cheap cords, you'll wear the ridges down quite quickly - especially in the arse region, if you, like me, have a desk job.

+ Reply to Thread