FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter
    Good call, those M Dutti blazers are looking like strong options. I especially like these:

Does any one know what the quality is like?

Also noticed there:

DRESSY DOUBLE BUCKLE SHOE - Shoes - MEN - United Kingdom

But I think I would be tempted to pay the extra £60 to get Meermin suede DM if I was serious about another pair.

Trend Setter
    I had a look around on the web and discovered that MD is owned by same parent company as Zara, but less trend led and generally better quality (I think Zara quality is pretty appalling though tbh). Some people on Style Forum even suggested that MD had OK quality basics for those with less cash to throw about than many on that board seem to.

I think I would still be hesitant to drop £165 on a blazer at MD, as there is very little info about construction, measurements etc. and it seems possible to get something a little better for another £50. Having said this I would be tempted by the second blazer posted above, which is only £125 (cotton with a little cashmere) and has the added possibility of buying the matching trousers and wearing it as a casual suit for under £200. Or is that a false economy?

I also really like this for just under £100, because a plain, non tweed, brown basic blazer was also on my list:

Trend Setter
    I'm also wondering about the quality and value of Massimo Dutti clothing. This summer I purchased my first item there: a herringbone dress shirt with french cuffs, which cost 50 pounds. The fit and fabric feel great. I've only worn it once, so I can't really comment on the quality, but I'm inclined to be positive about MD.
    If a jacket or shoes, or any other item is priced close to an item at a more trusted brand, I'd go for the trusted brand though.

Some more info on Zara and MD: INDITEX: Industria de Diseño Textil, S.A. is a Spanish multinational clothing company headquartered in Arteixo, Galicia, Spain. It is made up of almost a hundred companies dealing in activities related to textile design, production and distribution. Amancio Ortega, Spain's richest man, and the world's third richest man, is the founder and current largest shareholder. The current chairman of Inditex is Pablo Isla.Inditex operates over 6,000 stores worldwide[3] and owns brands like Massimo Dutti, Bershka, Oysho, Pull and Bear, Stradivarius,Zara, Tempe and Uterqüe, and also a low-cost brand Lefties.
    Last edited by sam1234; 10-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Trend Setter
    I've just ordered the brown twill jacket from MD to check it out for fit/quality etc. No meaningful measurements in the site so I will not hold my breath. Will report back when it arrives.

Hope you will be satisfied whit it .... My wardrobe is pretty much consisted with about 70% of their clothes and I am very pleased with their quality as well (especially for the price). You get Italian flare clothes (or in this case Spanish) for a very reasonable amount of money...

Trend Setter
    My Massimi Dutti blazer arrived today, so I thought I would report back. It is the brown one pictured above.

Unfortunately it is going to have to go back, as it is several inches too long for me in the body. This is a shame since it seems pretty spot on in the shoulders, which I often find can come up a bit big in some brands. It is nice and supprssed in the waist too.

The quality seems OK/pretty good for the money, at just under £100. Certainly a lot better than Zara.

No idea if any of thwir other blazers come up shorter, as their are no measurements that I could find on their webiste, which is a bit annoying. Next time I am in London I will try and pop in and see some of thir other stuff in the flesh.

I'm coming back around to the idea of savinf up for the navy Suit Supply blazer I linked to in OP. I think that would be a good all rounder as a nay blazer.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by yesimunique View Post
    Highly recommend upunique.com for you, selling high quality custom suit and blazer with an affordable price. This is a navy blazer as example: Mens Classic Dark Blue Blazer
    Jeez give it a rest bud.

Trend Setter
    Indeed! Haha.

Coincidentally the Suit Supply navy blazer pictured in my op turned up today. It's really nice, but perhaps a little longer in the body than I would ideally like. Really nice natural shoulder and fit otherwise though. I'll try and post pics, phone broken so will have to dig camera out.

Trend Setter
    Alex - interestingly, I ordered the Without Prejudice blazer that I recommended to you. Quality is simply outstanding but I'm worried about the fit. Its perfect on the shoulders and arms but, completely the opposite to you, I'm worried its a little short.

Its significantly shorter than my suit jackets (granted, a blazer should be) but it finishes near the top of my backside. Is this the kind of length you are looking for? I'm concerned the blazer is a little short but I don't know if that's just me.

Its also not slim fitting enough for my liking around my stomach area (even though its billed as slim fitting). Then again, maybe I should be subscribing to the idea that tailoring is always needed to get the fit spot on. I just think having spent £175 (and what would have been £345 at full price), I shouldn't have to).

Trend Setter
    Textbook - in my experience some tailoring is always necessary, but I guess it depends on your body type? For example, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I have never purchased a blazer or suit off the shelf that does not need the arms shortening for me. I have two Reiss suits which needed a little waist suppression and some narrowing of the legs, as well as shortening arms of the jacket and of course the legs of the trousers, all of which racks up the ££. Even my Suit supply Suits in their slimmest fitting range needed some work on the trousers, although the jackets fitted well (other than the length of sleeves). I'm short, but my legs are not overly skinny and I am definitely not opting for super skinny suit trousers, I just think it is one of those things that will need adjustment.

It's a shame the Without Prejudice blazer you recommended was out of stock in a 36, otherwise I would definitely have gone for it. I am not dead set on an incredibly short fashion forward jacket length, but at 5' 6" I worry about things being too long, or too big in general. The jacket that arrived today is closer to what I would consider OK for a suit jacket, I'm not sure about it yet. I'm worried it might make it too formal looking to wear as an everyday item. At just over £200 (plus £30 to alter sleeves - working button holes) it needs to be right! Generally I opt for jacket around 28" long (where possible) but will go as far as 30" (collar to hem).

I'll try and get a picture of the blazer fit this evening.

+ Reply to Thread