FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Basic information for novice.

Hello,

After about 10 years of fashion crimes and serious wardrobe neglect I decided (after almost 12 months of deliberation) to purchase a pair of skinny jeans and found this site by chance looking for suitable footwear. Now I've been completely seduced and a whole new world has been opened up to me. I'm no longer afraid to dress how I've secretly always wanted!! But I'm going to need lots and lots of help because my knowledge on the subject matter is pretty poor and I've got some bad habits...
    Now, some of my questions might sound a little bit ridiculous but I honestly don't know, so if someone could be so kind...

1) How can I be 100% certain that a Blazer fits me correctly, or at least fits as close as possible without resorting to a tailor??

2) I've noticed several different collar types, I quite like the look of collars where the points face the shoulders, I think they may be called Windsor collars?? Are these collars strictly formal??

3) Smart casual ensemble - Shirt tucked in or not??

4) Taboo brands?? - If it looks good and it works should I buy it regardless of where it's from and/or who it's made by??

5) Second hand clothes on eBay?? - Acceptable or not??

I would be very grateful for any input.

Thank you so much!!

Trend Setter
    How about reading this: Fashion & Style Glossary By FashionBeans
    and this: Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 93 – What Tailoring A Suit Can Do For You | FashionBeans
    and maybe all of these: Men's Fashion Basics - Fashion Advice For Beginners By FashionBeans
    Clothes from eBay are fine if they're in good condition.
    I'd especially read the articles on capsule wardrobes and the ones like "5 items every man should own". This will help you build your wardrobe.

Have fun!

Style Icon
    1) How can I be 100% certain that a Blazer fits me correctly, or at least fits as close as possible without resorting to a tailor??

Find an article that addresses it, like the one Sam1234 linked to.

2) I've noticed several different collar types, I quite like the look of collars where the points face the shoulders, I think they may be called Windsor collars?? Are these collars strictly formal??

I think you are refering to cutaway collars. (EDIT: Which I just learned is indeed also called a Windsor collar.)

The Extreme Cutaway - Thomas Pink - YouTube
    The Cutaway Collar - Thomas Pink - YouTube

Tucked. Untucked shirt is just casual - in my opinion.

4) Taboo brands?? - If it looks good and it works should I buy it regardless of where it's from and/or who it's made by??

Unless you find a political or moral reason to avoid a brand, go for it! Don't refrain from wearing something just because it's not hip with your friends, or whatever.

Second hand is totally fine, in fact more people should do it - both buy and sell!
    Last edited by MarcLager; 20-10-2013 at 09:04 PM.

How can I be 100% certain that a Blazer fits me correctly, or at least fits as close as possible without resorting to a tailor??

Check out some of the guides on the main site. I did see I really handy photo guide online that explains it perfectly, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Extreme collars are really only for formal wear and must be worn with a tie.

Smart is always tucked in and casual can be either in or out. Smart casual is also in.

Indeed, if you like something then buy it regardless of brand. If you can afford it, then buy from reputable quality brands as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. For example a 45 Sunspel tee will always trump 10 Primark tees. Sometimes cheaper brands can be false economy.

Always acceptable. You'll save money and even make money selling your old stuff. Just beware or fakes.

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the response gentlemen, and for pointing me in the direction of the excellent fashion basic articles, they're helping me out no end and I'm really starting to embrace my sartorial journey.

Here's a couple more novice questions.

1, What's the difference between plaid and gingham shirts?? To me they look identical. I've done several Google searches but the information seems to be a little contradicted or uses terminology that I'm not familiar with and therefore creating yet more questions...

2, Which items of clothing should I consider paying a premium for, I'm on abit of a tight budget but I haven't ruled out spending larger amounts of cash where it's necessary. Where is extra quality required??

Thanks again for any input, it is greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by BaconLad; 02-11-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconLad View Post
    1, What's the difference between plaid and gingham shirts?? To me they look identical. I've done several Google searches but the information seems to be a little contradicted or uses terminology that I'm not familiar with and therefore creating yet more questions...
    In my mind:
    Gingham = normally two colours (usually white + colour or black + colour) in vertical & horizontal bands of equal thickness and spacing to form squares of the same size

Plaid = can mean any check pattern (including gingham) but usually refers to a more tartan-style pattern where the bands are of different thickness and spacing

Quote Originally Posted by BaconLad View Post
    2, Which items of clothing should I consider paying a premium for, I'm on abit of a tight budget but I haven't ruled out spending larger amounts of cash where it's necessary. Where is extra quality required??
    I would say shoes, coats & jackets and knitwear. Decent shoes will last so much longer than cheap ones and look good until the end of their life, and spending extra on outerwear and knitwear will get you a decent percentage of natural fibres which makes them warmer and/or more breathable as well as looking better for longer.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Trend Setter
    Just wanted to agree with above really and definitely reaffirm eBay/second hand - most of my good quality Loake, Grenson etc shoes are from eBay, at a tiny fraction of the RRP price. I simply would not be able to afford them if I had bought them new. You just have to be a bit disciplined (unlike me) and if you make a mistake, sell it on again. Always check actual measurements of things like blazers/jackets so that you can compare with an item you own that actually fits you. Set up saved searches for brands that you like in the sizes that you know fit you and make sure you are strict with the upper limit you are willing to pay.

Some things will need tailoring unless you are very lucky - for example, I have never found an off the peg blazer, even in very small sizes, where the arms are short enough for me, but that is simple to get altered, likewise trouser length. remember to factor those costs in though.

Brands - for me it is about branding rather than brands - big logos plastered over things are a no no as far as I am concerned, as others have mentioned on these boards on other threads too.

Here is a guide to shirt collars which may help:

good luck.
    Last edited by Alex; 02-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread