FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Blazer fit: With pictures

Evening all,

I have bought a blue twill jacket. I think the length is right in respect of the arms. In the opinion of yourselves is it a good length at the waist? It passes my waist and covers jean pockets.

I would be more concerned about the tightness around the back? I got this in 36S, and I think 38S will be far too wide and I'll end up with shoulder fit problems. In one of the pictures, I have buttoned it to see how you feel if it fits around the stomach with it buttoned.... I'm wary of any 'X'.

Opinions please!

Trend Setter
    Shoulders are a bit wide I think. Hence the dimples underneath on arm. I have similar problem getting shoulders narrow enough, even in a 36. Having measured a number of jackets from different brands I can say that they can vary from anything from 16/16/5 to 18 inches for a 36.

Fashionisto
    I 'think' that's just as a result of my rather odd shape in this picture, it's fine when I am standing more normally. Holding my arm up like that squashes everything. But cheers for taking a look.

Fashionisto
    Does look a little wide on the shoulders to me too!
    But a great blazer where's it from mate?

Trend Setter
    Shoulders look wide as others have said. Certainly wouldn't size up. The length looks ideal, I certainly wouldn't change that aspect. Also looks fitted well around the stomach, could you get the shoulders altered or try a size down?

Trend Setter
    I'm going to disagree with the pack here. The problem is not that the shoulders are too wide - that is the way they are cut and padded. The dimples come either because of the way that you are standing and holding your arms out or because the jacket is pulling up because it is too tight across the chest. The photo showing the jacket buttoned shows a clear V shape in the fabric around the button (where it is pulling). Again this might just be the result of the way you are standing but it may also indicate a jacket that is too tight. #As for the length, for me that is too short. That said, very short jackets are fashionable but they should still hang low enough to cover your seat - this looks as though it just covers the waistband of your trousers. The higher of the two buttons on the jacket generally comes at about waist height but here even the lower one looks like it may fall above your navel.

This is all you need to know.

Fashionisto
    I would feel it's pretty close fitted across the back and shoulders. The 38 will, I suspect, be too wide. I suppose I may try it and see before I report back. As for the length, I'm very concerned vis a vis being 5ft 9in and having a 29in leg. If I go from the S to R I would be concerned I'll look dead stumpy! And the sleeves will be off.

Ya just can't win!

Trend Setter
    I wouldn't worry about the sleeves if I were you, as they are easy for a tailor to shorten. I have never bought a new off the peg jacket that does not need the sleeves altering.

I agree the jacket is very short, at 5' 6" I have never found a jacket that is too short for me, so am slightly envious, as I generally have trouble getting jackets/blazers that are short enough, especially from places that do not stick , S, R, L options.

Interesting that Wolf says that is may be the cut/padding of shoulders rather than width. I had originally thought that about a few jackets I own, but had come to think that it was the width that was the problem.

Fashionisto
    I've to go into town tomorrow so I'll try the 36R for length but to be honest I like the length of the 36S, as much as I appreciate it is short. Do members feel I am making a mistake here?

To answer a few earlier questions, there isn't a smaller size, and its from Next.

+ Reply to Thread