FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

College Student, Low budget

Hi guys,

I'm about to enter college in a few months(I'm from New Zealand), just finishing high school in a month. So over the next 3-4 months I want to completely rebrand myself, get a new wardrobe slowly. I have a low budget, mainly from savings over the year and pocket money and sometimes doing work etc. Ive just joined this forum and discovered this website today, and am utterly fascinated by how good it is! My problem is where do I buy from? I've seen the suggested websites but most of them are still quite expensive. I am after quality, but I know that you cant really get decent quality and low prices and so I'm fine purely with aesthetics of a product. Eg, Asos is bloody expensive for good stuff, going up to 400 pounds(eg denim jackets), which is like $650NZD or more. And looking at lookbook styles/street styles. Everything is so expensive. So where do I buy from? I've considered ordering from eBay, but it seems hard to find the right stuff. Amazon seems lame for the prices. Chinese places which are extremely cheap like, Aliexpress(retail form of alibaba.com), dhgate, milanoo.com, seem dodgy so I'm just not sure where to order from. Especially if I want to get things like double breasted jackets, blazers, denim jackets, jeans, etc etc Although summer is coming up, I still need a platform for the rest of the year.

Trend Setter
    Hey DevSoni,
    I can totally relate to your post. Firstly I hate spending money more than you can imagine; I'm a real cheapskate. Secondly I'm setting up my own business at the minute so my monthly income is absolutely zero and will probably remain the same for many months to come. Having an empty bank account is one of the greatest thing for reassessing your priorities and making you question every cent that you spend.

It's difficult to give specific advice as you're in NZ and most on this forum are UK or at least EU based.

A few things I've learnt over years of being cheap and months of being skint:

- Branded isn't the be all and end all. In the UK we have Primark which is cheap and quite often nasty. If you hunt hard enough though you find gems. Particularly I'd recommend picking up accessories from places like this. It makes no difference whether your pocket square cost 99p or 20 (and I can say this owning squares which fall into both camps). Braces, ties, cufflinks, pocket squares, hats; having loads of these small items lying around to add something to an existing outfit is a really easy way of upping your game.

- Spend money on the things that matter to you. Ignore what other people think. For me personally I wouldn't buy cheap and nasty shoes as I feel they're a false economy. T-Shirts, jumpers, chinos, etc I feel are fairly similar so don't feel the need to spend crazy money on quality.

- Think tactically. I lived in a slightly rough area of Bristol until recently and always moaned the charity shops had nothing for me. Then I moved to London and started browsing the shops in very affluent areas. I've found Daks suits, Aquascutum raincoats and Tiger of Sweden three-pieces all well under $100 USD. Don't rely on hipster second hand shops for these; think of where they'll end up when their original owners ditch them and take advantage.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Can't help you much with where to shop as I'm not familiar with stores over in NZ.

But as a bit of guidance, as you're going for the full re-brand, you're best off creating a capsule wardrobe. Build up those key pieces and spend on quality pieces that you'll wear over and over again. As an examples, I wouldn't spend $400 on a denim jacket if you're just starting out! Better spending the $400 on a decent pair of navy jeans, a simple oxford shirt and a classic grey crew neck sweater, depending on what look you're going for.

Also, remember it's always about the fit. Expensive clothing with a poor fit will look terrible regardless of the designer, budget clothing can look good if the fit is correct and the style suits you. You can also get things tailored or doing it yourself if you're on a budget.

You'll find a whole wealth of knowledge here and on the main site. Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks for the awesome advice but, just a heads up, although I am in NZ, I would still order from UK, etc. Eg, I have ordered from ASOS before

In which case, let me be the first to recommend Uniqlo. Get it online, great quality, great price.

Had a look, haha prices didnt look that great

Trend Setter
    I think Uniqlo have some of the best prices going. Sure they're not as cheap as H&M, Asos or Topman on some things but their quality and fit is amazing - well above most other stuff on the high street in my experience.

Style Icon
    Yeah, Uniqlo isn't cheap cheap, but it's great value; prices are similar to or less than your standard Topman etc and the quality's definitely better. For example, just got an order through with a bunch of 20 flannel shirts which are definitely as good as or better than what you'd buy for 35 on the high street, and a 70% lambswool jumper which was 15...
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Quote Originally Posted by yesimunique View Post
    Hey, how about Custom suits,tailor made mens suits online-upunique, high quality mens garment are provided with a relatively low price.
    tell me more

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by yesimunique View Post
    Hey, how about Custom suits,tailor made mens suits online-upunique, high quality mens garment are provided with a relatively low price.

"Relatively low price" Looks quite expensive from where I'm sitting, and not a great choice.

But more than happy be a guinea pig if you want to send over some free samples!!

+ Reply to Thread