FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Dressing to look my age

Hello all

Having just turned 28, it's becoming a little tiresome when people assume I'm closer to 20. I still have an astonishingly fast metabolism and gaining weight is massive challenge for me. That said, I've seen some results with very careful attention to diet and a lot of time in the gym. That's all going to take a while though

My work outfit is pretty straightforward, but I'm struggling a bit more with what to wear outside of work. I'm planning to stay away from t-shirts and (most) jeans and invest in some decent oxford shirts, a denim shirt or two, some new chinos and boots. Any more detailed suggestions would be gratefully received though!

Another issue I have is finding appropriate clothes in my size. I usually end up somewhere like Topman looking for W28L30 trousers and XS everything else but at 28 I'm really pushing the top end of their target demographic and it's perhaps not the best place to find age-appropriate pieces.

Uniqlo is good - clothing for small Japanese men tends to fit me quite well! Any other suggestions of retailers or designers who cater for skinny, short chaps like me who are fast approaching 30?

Nat

Style Icon
    I found these articles useful when I started to get into dressing well... Focus on getting the basics right and laying a solid foundation...

Dressing Your Age: Thirties (30s) – Part 1 | FashionBeans

Dressing Your Age: Thirties (30s) – Part 2 | FashionBeans

Thanks Nat. I did a lot more reading overnight and put together a google doc shopping list separated into affordable monthly purchases until I no longer look like a child. Some great advice on this site for sure.

From what I've seen though, I'll be buying pretty much everything from Uniqlo unless I can find another place to get imp-sized clothes that fit the bill. Nothing wrong with Uniqlo of course, but it would be nice to have some other options if anyone has a suggestion?

Nat

Style Icon
    Depends on your budget bud. Uniqulo is great value and does some really good basic stuff. If you've got more money to spend, then Reiss does very nice "grown up" clothes. HE by Mango does loooooovely stuff too.

If money is tighter, then H&M and Zara are pretty good.

Once you have a clearer idea of the sort of thing you want, then get to know your local TK Maxx very well. Lots of shite in there, but if you know what you want, you can get some bargains. Especially good for knitwear imo.

^ TK is great for stuff in funny sizes too

Can't go in to TK Maxx without thinking over the Alan Carr sketch about the customers rubbing speed into their gums to get to the end of the rail! Good tip about regular visits. There are a couple more expensive pieces I'll need to master the basics.

Really like Reiss, but find everything fits like a parachute. H&M are good for shirts for small people, but their waste sizes start at 30". Suppose I could always go to a tailor for alterations though...

Nat

Style Icon
    Ha! I know what you mean about TK - can be hard work, but it will repay regular visits, I promise. Just don't feel obliged to buy something every time you go in. I have recently moved jobs, and the local TK is in a rough area, so I'm hoping that this means that all the Bench and Superdry stuff with be gone, leaving the Ralph Lauren on the clearance rail!

And yes - definitely find a good tailor and use him a lot.

Trend Setter
    I''m 5' 6" with a 36chest and am 30/30 in trousers, so I can appreciate a little of what you are saying size wise, especially as I was a little smaller in the waist when I was younger.

TK is all about regular, short visits when passing for me. Though I find it very hard to find stuff in small sizes there. You can get lucky though, especially with a 28 waist, I've often had to pass on things I can't quite really get into on the clearance rail in that size.

XS knitwear and shirts from Uniqlo, as you have already mentioned
    Denim shouldn't be a problem from brands such as Nudie? Prob just buy direct from them if you need smaller sizes than what shops here do.

I find Reiss are a little long for me in their jacket length. I've found more luck with Suit Supply recently, and they start from a 34 chest, and I think they do a 28 waist too.

It's worth keeping an eye out in unlikely places - e.g. M&S have a 100% wool herringbone blazer for just over 100 at the moment, it's slim fit and comes in a 34 chest! You might not find it in store, my local starts at a 38", but it's there on the website.

Other than that I use the tailor a lot, especially for length of things like jeans, cords etc, which generally start at a 32" leg.

hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread