FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Work Formal Event

Hi Guys,

First time poster needing a bit of advice!

I'm 24 and work as a designer so my usual clothes are quite casual with some fairly smart pieces to incorporate when needed.

There are only a handful of times per year where the occasion calls for something truly smart, one of these being the company meal for xmas- fancy meal, drinks, mulling over the constant deadlines etc! So they won't be used that much!

I'm looking to get some new trousers, shirt and tie (possibly a suit jacket too) for this but am unsure of a good set of pieces which could be used for this and a few other semi-formal events.
    Was thinking of charcoal trousers, black oxfords (I have some Loake ones already) and a white shirt? Not sure on what tie colour would compliment this?

I might be overthinking it slightly, but any advice would be great!

Alexi

Welcome Alexi.

You want to nail the trouser purchase as these will be key to create a few different looks.

A dark grey trouser will leave you open to white, light blue and pale pink shirts. These plain shirts will also give you the option of wearing multiple ties, preferably slim and either knitted or wool to show a point of difference from the usual suspects. Maybe pop a silver tie pin on to add some details. You'll also be able to wear black or brown shoes with dark grey trousers. Jacket wise, a brown wool or something tweed should be season appropriate and compliment the look.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the kind advice- just what I was after!

Just ordered the trousers & shirt. Might go shopping for a new jackey next week- as soon as I get paid!

The tie-pin idea is a great touch, thanks for mentioning it. Have just been sent a nice 15 voucher from Charles Tyrwhitt so am looking through the tie section for a nice slim wool/handmade one, I'm absolutely useless with deciding on a nice colour- are there any which strike you as good to go with the outfit I'm putting together?

Charles Tyrwhitt Slim Ties

Will put up a pic of the finished outfit in due course!

Thanks for all the help!

Happy to help. Depending on what colour your shirt is. This with white or this with light blue. Ties are naturally personal choice, but these will go well with multiple outfits.

+ Reply to Thread