FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Nat

Style Icon

Mixing things up a bit...

So I am having a bit of a conundrum, style-wise. I am just finding things a bit boring at the minute. I would consider myself well-dressed (certainly compared to most guys in the UK), and perhaps even stylish; I have a good grasp of the basics (fit, layering, textures); I have a nice range of decent basics, something approaching a capsule wardrobe; I have a small but decent range of accessories (pocket squares, tie bars, collar barsetc)... But I'm just finding that my style has gone a bit stale.

Perhaps I am over-analysing, but I would like to mix it up a bit, and was hoping for some thoughts on how to do this. I want to keep things relatively classic, and I don't really want to be "fashion-forward", and therefore have to change my entire wardrobe every season. I just feel some life needs to be injected. You regulars on here will have a fair sense of what my style is like, as I comment and post pics fairly often. So how can I liven things up a bit, without going too crazy? Both casually, and with work stuff?

Any tips? Or anyone else feeling the same as I am?

Trend Setter
    Hm, funny thing is the first thing I thought of when reading "liven things up" was the fashion-forward and more trendy pieces (think some of Pin Money's looks).

Something you might be able to do is to try a few looks from other styles that are still under the "classic style" umbrella... from your pictures I would almost say you dress mostly in Heritage looks, so maybe try Mod or Americana or something like that.

Or maybe this recent FB article on Color and Detail might do the trick: A Pop Of Colour vs The Interesting Detail | FashionBeans

Fashionisto
    Step out of your comfort zone, maybe pick up a few statement pieces for AW and build your outfits around them.

Add some colour too. I hate wearing white and bright colours but if you're subtle, it works wonders.

If you've got your basics sorted, then you're in the ideal position to add something with a little more 'flare' to your wardrobe.

You don't have to be completely fashion forward as you say, just pick a key statement item and pair it with your basics so it's not too much.

I've been having the same issue as you, so I bought a pair of camo loafers and I'm working on the next few items to liven things up.

Like the other comment, I'd recommend the pop of colour/interesting detail blog post. Let us know how you get on.

Style Icon
    I'm feeling the same as you, Nat. Just this morning I felt I have nothing interesting in my wardrobe. In my case, I think it's just a bit of a creative slump, because of too much stress lately, and also because my wife is on parental leave, money is a bit tight at the moment. I'll mostly have to make do with what I have already got.

But anyway, back to your predicament. You can view it from two different courses of action: Refine or reinvent. Allow me to elaborate.

Refine: You're happy with your wardrobe. You like how you dress. You have all the pieces you need, so you don't have to shop out of (for lack of a better word) necessity. Then it might be time to step the game up by saving up to buy more expensive, higher quality staple garments. Buy a 1000 awesome tweed suit. Start buying higher quality shirts. Time to leave the high street, and go up market.

Reinvent: Like someone else said, leave your comfort zone. Buy some knitwear with bolder patterns, or accessories that stand out more - colourful scarves, bolder ties. Get some more "interesting" shoes. Get your smart wear on, and pair it with Doc Martens. And, perhaps, start looking at the trends and work smaller pieces of it into your look.

Nat

Style Icon
    Thanks for the replies so far. Some helpful stuff. I think it's fair to say that I play it fairly safe with colour, so that may be one way to go. I will have a think and maybe post some stuff up.

Marc - interesting distinction, thanks. I think it's probably somewhere between the two! I am always looking to refine, get better, invest in higher quality garments etc, but it's more than that... But then I don't want to totally reinvent either. But one or two statement pieces, or tweaks on what I normally do, will hopefully work wonders.

The thing is, most people (especially my male friends) probably wouldn't say I play it safe. Just wearing a pocket square or a DB blazer round here sets me apart!

Keep the comments coming though...

Trend Setter
    @Marc - some very good points laid out there for refining style, although it does suggest going as far as paying 50 for a plain t shirt!

My 2 penith... Try adding some edgy pieces of clothing to your look, (I think americana/worker wear influences will help you here as well). Denim jackets, leather biker jackets - your style is very smart and you can get some jackets that will help "casual down" your look but still look great.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski123 View Post
    @Marc - some very good points laid out there for refining style, although it does suggest going as far as paying 50 for a plain t shirt!
    All in moderation, I suppose. Paying 50 for a t-shirt that you're going to use as undergarment would, in my opinion, be a bit too lavish.

+ Reply to Thread