FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

AW13 layering issues

So since my hugely gained interest in clothes and style since earlier this year (because of fashion beans) I've just found out I really struggle with layering this season. I don't have anything that I can crack on and be happy with. So 2 questions
    1. What are some key things everyone is layering?

2. Is everyone going monochrome or using colour?
    NOTE: Everyone seems to be wearing burgundy too, so I'll try and avoid that if I can.

Trend Setter
    So no one is wearing anything..? And I thought I was the only one!

Trend Setter
    Daily layering for me: blue/white/pink ocford shirt or denim/gingham shirt, merino cardigan (grey, navy, brown etc) or merino/cashmere V neck (similar autumnal colours), blazer/tweed jacket.

Still sometimes struggle with textures (flannel jacket does not appear to go with hopsack trousers, likewise tweed) and more recently shirt collar size - blazer lapel size i.e most of my oxford shirts are slim with smallisah collars, some of my blazers have more traditional lapel sizes (2.5 - 3.5 inches), this seems to throw the balance off a bit, much like a slim tie with a trad lapel width.

Future experiments:
    Roll neck under shirt with jacket on top. Something stopping me actually going ahead with it.
    I also recently got a Gant Rugger fair isle waistcoat/tank top/sleeveless cardigan, for a fraction of the RRP. It's something that I have wanted for ages, but now cannot seem to layer it with the right jacket.

FashionBeans Staff
    I have a couple of chunky cardigan jacket things which I layer with thinner knitwear and shirts/tees underneath and then throw my peacoat on top. I've also started using my denim jacket as a middle layer a lot; putting it over fine knitwear or tees and then having a coat over all of it, that works with the former layering styles as well. If that makes sense?

Generally try and get a pop of colour into my looks as well

Fashionisto
    I generally stick a tee underneath a flannel/rugged shirt for a more casual look for going out for a movie or a meal etc

Out about walking the dogs or whatever, I'll dig out a cable knit or a roll neck and pair it with my denim jacket. I'll get the pop of colour from that bottom layer because the denim always compliments it. I really hate wearing bright colours and even white but recently I have been investing more in stuff that can be used in layering because you don't feel as exposed, if that makes sense?

For a smarter look, I'll throw on an oxford shirt in blue/white/pink and pair it with a grey v-neck jumper underneath a blue blazer. Simple but very smart.

Then for more of a grunge look I'll pair an Oxford with my denim or leather jacket, skinny jeans and boots.

+ Reply to Thread