FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

If you were the groom what would you wear?

Picture this...

Late afternoon ceremony on a clifftop overlooking ocean in a private estate within a resort town. Bride and groom standing under a white bale decorated with white fabric and roses, a small in-ground water feature (pool type) with floating candles sits between us and guests. The ceremony leads into a sunset pre dinner cocktail party and then into a seated dinner under the stars for eighty guests. The bride is wearing a dress that is formal, champagne color and MIGHT have black embellishment.

I'd be very grateful if after reading the above info you could respond with what you would wear. I really need some ideas, I don't know if me being responsible for myself and 2 groomsmen is such a great idea

Cheers.

Nat

Style Icon
    Few questions...
    - How formal do you want to keep it?
    - Where are you from/what will the weather be like?
    - What's your budget?

Formality; I'd be comfortable either way but I think my fiance would prefer our attire to be formal, or formal with a bit of individuality. The wedding itself is formal.

Origin/Weather: I am from Australia and the wedding weather will be hot to tropical

Budget: $1000 per suit. I'd love to spend less especially with regards to the other two suits for my two best-men but I myself have never really bought a suit for under $1000 and I do not wear or shop for suits often, it's something my fiance would normally take care of for me.

Formality; I'd be comfortable either way but I think my fiance would prefer our attire to be formal, or formal with a bit of individuality. The wedding itself is formal.

Origin/Weather: I am from Australia and the wedding weather will be hot to tropical

Budget: $1000 per suit. I'd love to spend less especially with regards to the other two suits for my two best-men but I myself have never really bought a suit for under $1000 and I do not wear or shop for suits often, it's something my fiance would normally take care of for me.

Trend Setter
    What are exactly are we counting as formal though? Morning suit with swallow tail coat? A suit? A jacket and tie?

For myself, I'd tend to go for a two piece suit and tie. The most important thing is making sure that the fabric is lightweight. Assuming you are buying it or getting it made in Australia (and they'll be familiar with the sort of temperatures you'll have) this shouldn't be an issue but make sure you get a summer suit. 'Year round' suits are just inappropriate in the summer (and the depths winter for that matter). A tropical weight wool would be perfect, giving comfort but still looking very smart.

Next, I would consider getting the suit made for you. You only get married once (hopefully) and it is a fun experience and leaves you with a suit you know you'll be happy with and comfortable in. You can choose the fabric and choose the sort of details that you want on your suit. Try and get a recommendation from other people of a good local tailor doing made-to-measure/bespoke suits. About 600 is just possible in the UK so $1000 may well be in Australia.

Fabric pattern and colour - something light coloured would be ideal. This suggests light greys, unbleached wools, off-whites and creamy coloured suits. Patternwise checks are very in but remember textures are just as important as pattern - a subtle colour flexing effect or diagonal weave might add interest but give an overall impression of harmonious colour.

Cut and details - very narrow and close fitting suits are really in now and the temptation is to have a suit cut in that style. The danger is that in ten to twenty years time people will look back and laugh in the same way that we do at flared bell bottoms or late 80s powersuits now. For the same reason, avoid anywhere that sells a suit that is excessively large. Go for a cut that is classic instead. You'll still look sharp and that way your kids will be almost as proud of how you looked on your wedding day as you are when you wear it. Add a few contemporary touches as a finish - narrow the legs slightly, perhaps - and make sure the tailor gets the finish spot on (sleeves showing a flash of cuff, trouser leg with the touch of break you want).

Details such as peaked lapels or single button fastening are popular right at the moment and look sharp. Both tend to increase the formality of the jacket as well (coming from formal evening wear and day wear originally).

Otherwise - white shirt and a tie. I'd suggest a tie with texture rather than colour pattern again or think about the sort of ties that James Bond wore in the last movie - subtle almost unnoticeable micro patterns. Should help you look elegant, cool and good in years to come.

+ Reply to Thread