FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Please help me put together a couple of evening outfits...

I'm off on holiday in January and want to put together a couple of nice evening outfits for upmarket continental night spots. I've come up with an idea for two outfits that are essentially the same but with different colour combinations and want some feedback from people before investing in the items I don't currently own. <br><br>The idea for both outfits is pretty simple. I want a pair of beautiful winter boots that will last me a long time that stand out. I am currently thinking brogue boots in a tan colour ban am slightly concerned they might be a little OTT? I will then pair them with some slim fit chinos or cords. I don't need to invest here. I already have some in dark green, navy, black and red. I'll then wear an Oxford shirt with a jumper or cardigan over the top. It will then be finished off with a blazer type jacket, a wool scarf and a pair of gloves. <br><br>Sorry for the long list. Here's some photos to make my idea clearer:<br><br>These are the boots I'm thinking of investing in. Are they too crazy? Should I go for dark brown instead? I think thick soles are essential for grip as I spend a lot of time in countries where it snows/gets icy. If these aren't the best fit for the combo what would you go with instead?

As I said above I already own chinos. Here are some examples of what I have and would pair with this boot:

I currently have Oxford shirts in white and light blue. Both have been tailored and are now fitted. Thanks for the advice on getting them done. Without coming on here I wouldn't have such good fitting shirts. You all know what they look like but here's a photo just in case.

Over the top of the shirt I would layer one of two items. Either a thick grey jumper or a navy cardigan with the bottom button left undone. I can't find photos of either of the items I currently have so I'll do my best to describe them. The jumper was my main investment piece this winter. It's a Margiela cable knit with amazing detailing and is pretty thick. Ribbed neck and cuffs. Kind of like this but far more intricate detailing &amp; thicker.

The cardigan isn't as flash. It's 100% cotton from Aspesi that I picked up in the sale the other day. Similar cut to this but slightly larger buttons and a darker shade.

I currently don't have any winter blazers so along with the shoes this would be the main investment if I decide to invest in this look. My plan is to match the blue cardigan &amp; blue shirt together and wear them with a grey blazer and grey scarf over the top. I would wear the grey jumper and white shirt together with a navy wool blazer and scarf over the top. Here's a couple of blazers I'm considering. I don't want to spend crazy cos I don't wear them often enough to justify it....

<br><br>Here's the navy one from Uniqlo http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/080138#thumbnailSelect<br><br>

And here is the grey Tweed option....

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/078865<br><br>

I guess I'd buy a white pocket square from somewhere relatively cheap to go with the navy one. Not sure on the Tweed one. Might wear it without due to the pattern<br><br>Forgot to post the scarves before. Grey Ralph Lauren picked up from TK Maxx for 25

Can't find a photo of the navy one I have but it's not quite as heavy as the grey one and a wool/silk mix. Kind of like this but without the print....

And here's an example of the brown leather gloves I'd wear with it....

Sorry for posting so much but I wanted to show my ideas in detail. Would love to hear what people think of this? I hope it's warm enough although I guess if I'm indoors most of the time that shouldn't matter too much unless the wear is terrible. Is the layering idea OK? Also is the grey/blue combo OK with tan boots or too much? Also not sure on dark green chinos with tan boots and blue/grey up top. Is that too many colours to wear at once? What would you suggest maybe instead of what I'm thinking here? I already own the chinos, shirts and knitwear so they'll be worn regardless. Just trying to dress them up in more impressive ways for nights out. Want to make a real impression when I walk it so women notice me rather than being just another guy in a bar/club....
    Last edited by Gibbe84; 14-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Trend Setter
    Sorry I could only post 5 photos on the post about so here are the final 4 I wanted to post in my last message:

Last edited by Gibbe84; 14-11-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Fashionisto
    I have a few pairs of shoes with the wedge/vibram type sole shown on your post and I have never considered wearing them to trendy bars. There's nothing wrong with the styling of the boot, I just think a commando/wooden sole would add more versatility.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what to do cos love the Grenson brogue boots with leather soles but am worried I'd just slip all over the place in them if floors are damp due to rain/snow melt. You think they'd be OK for winter?

Fashionisto
    Trust me you'll be fine. Rubber isn't immune to slipping on the ice either, and as long as the boots have decent tread you'll get grip. Besides, I'm guessing you'll be spending most of your time indoors with your 200+ footwear, the last thing you want to do is ruin the calf leather with the hazards of British weather!

Trend Setter
    Those top ones are my favourites. Was just concerned about the grip due to having leather soles. Wish they had the 2nd in tan cos with the soles they'd be ideal. Must admit I just love tan Grensons on the whole including normal shoes. Want to base my style around them maybe even year round. Just had big question marks around the boots as I spend a lot of time in countries where it snows so even when out at night floors can get quite wet and footing can be tough when walking from place to place. You think the rest of the look is good btw? Not sure if it's too neutral or the quality of the items and layering would stand up alone.

It all sounds great to me, love the tan / vibram boots and can definitely see them working in bars etc

I think a nice watch & lapel pin is all your outfits need to take them to the next level

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the feedback. Where would you recommend for lap pins? Should I go upmarket or just buy something basic? Must admit I don't own any or know where to start looking.

Also don't own a watch. I know that's really strange. I would love to save up for a really nice one, but at the moment with Christmas coming up and a holiday to pay for in January I don't really have the cash. Are there any cheapish versions in the 100-200 range you'd recommend for this type of outfit? Must admit my knowledge on them isn't great outside of the more upmarket versions.

Trend Setter
    Just found a pair with the sole of the brown boots posted above but in tan. What does everyone think of them compared to the ones with white rubber soles? Grenson | Fred, calf grain brogue boot

Style Icon
    I think the commando sole makes them a bit more versatile. Depends if you want something you can dress up a bit more or something that stands out more.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

+ Reply to Thread