FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Leg wear for winter?

What's everyone got on? I feel like my legs are constantly cold in jeans, and they're Levi's too so they're pretty thick. Looking for some ideas, having serious trouble with my bottom half for warmth! This includes feet, my feet are cold in boots even as well - guessing I need thicker socks! (Where's our resident Scandinavian MarcLarger..?)
    Last edited by adamski123; 21-11-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Trend Setter
    Try to cop some slim wool trousers. Either that, or some cords will keep the cold at bay.

J8x

Trend Setter
    You need to invest in some long johns, problem solved.

Style Icon
    Long johns are certainly a functional solution! Sock-wise get thicker ones with higher percentages of wool (and merino, angora, cashmere etc if you're feeling baller). In terms of trousers; heavyweight jeans & chinos, cords, moleskins, wool (tweed/flannel) trousers.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

FashionBeans Staff
    moleskins and brushed cottons work well for me.

Sheep boy's got it spot on. Long johns are no longer just for your grandad. All of the above applies, but I would mention that a more fitted jean will keep you warmer than it's baggy counterpart.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski123 View Post
    (Where's our resident Scandinavian MarcLarger..?)
    To the rescue! We haven't had any really cold days yet - temperature is hovering around the 0 in the morning, though.

If you, like me, easily feel cold, long johns are your best friend. They're easy to take off when you get to the office. It's a bit of the challenge for me, as I usually walk to the office, which is about 3 km. When it's -10, -15 (as it often is in the morning) it's hard to dress for that, and then sit in an office where it's +20 degress a whole day, without getting insanely hot.

The weather we're having now gives a temperature between just below zero to 10 degrees. I'm wearing jeans (Levi's), not too slim, a bit of air helps isolation. Cords. Rougher chinos. BUT, trousers are only part of keeping your legs warm.

On my feet, I wear thicker boots. Thick in both leather and sole - a lot of cold gets to you via the soles, if they're too thin. Boot socks, slightly thicker and slightly longer than regular socks.

I have a heavy, long jacket, kind of like a sailor jacket, that ends below the bottom.

Foot wear is very important here, you need shoes or boots that breathe, to let sweat out, without letting the cold in. Cheap shoes will let the cold in, but won't let the sweat out, which adds to the chill effect.

Trend Setter
    can't go wrong with long johns! wack em on underneath your jeans, chino's, cords, trousers and away you go! i work in outside broadcasts so spend most of my time working outside and you can't go without them in the winter!

Fashionisto
    Yes I wear the Uniqlo Heattech longjohns and they are really warm, and very slim if you want to fit it under skinny jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    If I could upvote posts, I would upvote yours!

Here in London, I figure it's daft wearing anything too bulky or warm to cycle to work in, even when a strong wind is blowing, because I'm only outdoors for a maximum of 1 hour each way and then indoors for 8 hours of overheating.

If you have the facilities to get changed at work, then I'd second the thermals, UNIQLO make the best cheap ones, and M&S make longjohns that your grandparents wouldn't sniff at which will keep you toasty in the coldest weather!

+ Reply to Thread