FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Blzers VS suit jackets

Hey

it might sound a bit stupid, but am I the only one having hard time with this?
    I have some blazers I bought (high steet brands)- they fit me quite well.
    However, when I try to wear my Hugo suit blazer in a casual way (with chinos for example), it looks a bit too long and too 'formal' although just like the other ones in color.
    I followed the general guidelines for jacket length and this one is 'correct', however my other blazer are indeed shorter and look more put together.

Furthermore, this Hugo jacket has a single vent in the back, but there is sort of excess fabric so unless i strech it apart, the right half is on the left half, covering it. is this normal?

I really try to invest in quality staples, but where I live only daddies wear them so style is not always in good proportion to the quality.

For me, suit jackets never work with casual outfits, mainly due to their lighter weight. They're also typically longer than blazers and have a more structured shoulder. I'd defiantly stick to wearing separate blazers with your casual looks. The single vent sounds correct, there's one side is supposed to slightly cover the other so ones arse doesn't show. Again, a double vented blazer is better with jeans etc.

Fashionisto
    Totally agree, have what I consider to be a nice suit, but if I wear the jacket with jeans I look stumpy and drowning in it! Buying a wool separate blazer for winter was one of my best fashion moves lately.

For the casual version, I bought the Short size when I would by a Reg in a suit.

Style Icon
    Yeah, in most cases suit jackets & blazers aren't really interchangeable unless it's a particularly casual suit in a seasonal cloth. For a blazer, look for details like a slightly shorter length, more textured cloth, contrasting buttons, patch pockets, less structure & visible stitching which give it a more casual air.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Trend Setter
    Suit jackets and odd jackets are often not interchangeable. Separate jackets are generally made from softer cloths than the worsted that most suits are made from.

Quote Originally Posted by tristan View Post

Furthermore, this Hugo jacket has a single vent in the back, but there is sort of excess fabric so unless i strech it apart, the right half is on the left half, covering it. is this normal?
    That is entirely normal. The vent should natural hang in a way that overlaps - it will only pull apart as you move. When standing it should look like a ventless jacket (almost).

Agreed...most of mine aren't interchangeable either. If you have a few other suits, you could interchange your jackets and pants to create some really cool looks...burgundy and black go quite well together!

+ Reply to Thread