FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

looking good casually

I'm a final year student and find that I need to spend more time in the library this year. I hate looking sloppy and often dress smart casually but find its simply not comfortable for long hours in the library. Anyone got some ideas or lookbooks without looking like the baggy hoody and sweatpants look that most students go for

If you're a student, you can't go far wrong with slim jeans, plaid/oxford shirt with a simple crew neck sweatshirt over, maybe with a pair of desert boots. It's a pretty classic look and you'll probably have most of the items already so no need to break the bank. I guess it's just about dressing things up a little for a less sloppy look.

Style Icon
    Sweatpants and hoody usually looks sloppy because the wearer has gotten the biggest, baggiest size they can possibly get away with. If you buy more fitted clothes, you automatically look less sloppy. Also, for added sloppyness, wash everything two hundred times, and never throw them away - even when the seams are giving up.

Seriously though, I honestly don't see the need for shirts when studying in the library. Get a pair of well fitted jeans, with good stretch for comfort. T-shirt and a not too large sweater - avoid anything with large oversized logos. A pair of not too knackered sneakers. A jacket that suits the weather. And fix your hair. Don't look like you just rolled out of bed.

Saw this image and to me is the perfect smart casual student look.

Trend Setter
    IMHO, wearing a shirt to uni/school/whatever is too smart and bordering a bit on tryhard. At least in my uni only the mature students (mid 20s and above) bother coming in a shirt. You just gotta consider the fact that 75% of the other guys are running around in sweatpants and hoodies, so a shirt is just too smart for me. TBH I'd rather save the shirt and wear it on a night out instead of "wasting" it by wearing it to uni. A middle ground would be nice though. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by malti001; 26-11-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Trend Setter
    Some interesting posts here. Overall I would say my style is above the average standard (hoodies and sweatpants :P ) . I combine some nice looks consisting mainly of slim jeans, oxford shirts, chunky knits, parka, mac and a couple of different pairs of footwear. My style really developed when I was on internship year thanks to being fit to use these guides to develop my own style and actually having the cash to buy them for a change!..

Problem is most of the clothes just aren't comfortable for a long slog in the library! especially the jeans. Can a slim non branded sweatpant be styled to look good, or is it always a no-no?

Slim cuffed sweatpants are very on trend this season, but they are really fashioned for someone looking to achieve an urban look. You'd probably be pairing them with hightops and an oversized T-shirt.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    IMHO, wearing a shirt to uni/school/whatever is too smart and bordering a bit on tryhard. At least in my uni only the mature students (mid 20s and above) bother coming in a shirt. You just gotta consider the fact that 75% of the other guys are running around in sweatpants and hoodies, so a shirt is just too smart for me. TBH I'd rather save the shirt and wear it on a night out instead of "wasting" it by wearing it to uni. A middle ground would be nice though. Just my 2 cents.
    Wearing a shirt is too "try hard???" No way man. I'm on a college campus, and I definitely advocate the looks being described here... that picture Joshua posted is perfect. I know I get a lot more favorable looks from women when I'm dressed like that, and I'm just generally more confident overall. It absolutely doesn't hurt anything!

Sweatpants can work if you execute them correctly Jonard.

DON'T DO:

DO DO:

It's all about the fit and what you pair them with. Sweatpants and hoodies together belong at home or in the gym.

Trend Setter
    @joshua

Yeah that's just about how I rock mine. The key is to get a slim/skinny fitting sweatpant (important: with no/minimal branding), then throw on some Jack Purcells, a tee/knit and jacket (not hoodie).

Basically the idea is to remain as comfy as possible (I have long hours at uni), while disguising the fact that you're actually wearing sweatpants.

@antonymism

Granted, people are gonna check you out more because you put in more effort. I just don't see the point in getting all dressed up for school (after all the primary intention is to learn stuff), when I could easily dress up for weekends and such. Essentially one factor keeping me back from doing this is that I think that I'd run of clothes to wear on nights out if I wore all my best stuff during the week at uni.
    Last edited by malti001; 26-11-2013 at 11:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread