FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 Last

Quote Originally Posted by MojoGogo View Post
    Don't know if it's 'unlikely' but always thought Jamie Hince pulled off the kindof look I go for extremely well. Just love the boots and jeans, need to get me some Yve Saint Laurent...Harry Styles does it great aswell.

Defiantly second this choice. Been trying to cop some Saint Laurent since seeing it on Harry Styles (especially this) but still a little out of my reach price wise.

Style Icon
    I'm a tailoring fanatic and my favourite genre was the 70s as they accentuated all the elements of tailoring to the extreme with wide lapels, ultra thin waist and bold colours and patterns. They showed us it doesn't have to be just boring-snoring navy and grey. For obvious reasons this was most noticeable on TV personalities to enhance the showman.

My true tailoring style icon... Step up Mr Ronnie Corbett!

Note the signature turquoise socks...

He takes eccentric to new levels with exciting colour combos...

His finest combos could be seen in the 'news desk' items at the end of the two Ronnie's, with Barker also looking sharp....

In this example it's Barker who steals the limelight in what I can only say is an awesome and daring colour combo. If I could pull this combo off, I'd be there like a rat in a drainpipe...

Whilst some might think it was their stylists who created these looks, Ronnie Corbett continues to pull together luxury, bold, daring combos even today when largely off the television. I'd argue this his own personal creativity is largely responsible. He may not appeal to everyone, but I salute the way he can pull off almost any clashing combo with ease.

Another 'source' of inspiration for me is the naff 70s sitcom 'Are You Being Served?' Aside from the sexist jokes and stupid sketches, from a tailoring perspective you can't argue with the content. The other day they even had a scene where one staff member was being shown how to fold a pocket square properly, it was awesome to watch

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Defiantly second this choice. Been trying to cop some Saint Laurent since seeing it on Harry Styles (especially this) but still a little out of my reach price wise.

I need/want a pair of skinnies that don't make my legs look like twigs. Saint Laurent seems to be the place to go judging by these pictures...would be a stretch to go 300 for a pair of jeans though.

Jamie Hince - The rock star married to the original, definitive supermodel. Hardly unlikely now, although a v stylish dude for sure.

Ronnie Corbett - Would never have thought of him, but he's v fresh tbh. That's what this thread is about!

@MojoGogo - thing with skinnies is that they just show / accentuate what your legs are like. If you have twigs, then either embrace them, or don't wear skinnies.

Fashionisto
    Maybe its just not my style, but some of the looks in this thread just don't do anything for me. The really tight jeans/boots look I just don't get it, probably because I don't like boots or really tight jeans. My unlikely style 'icons' are usually normal folk that I know in real life, friends/colleagues etc. This is because their looks are usually more suitable to 'normal life' than celebs and also more attainable than famous people who are often given the best brands.

Quote Originally Posted by James100 View Post
    Maybe its just not my style, but some of the looks in this thread just don't do anything for me. The really tight jeans/boots look I just don't get it, probably because I don't like boots or really tight jeans.
    lol insightful

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    lol insightful
    Haha I guess I didn't phrase that bit too well. However the main point as was getting at is that my style inspiration tends to come from 'real life' rather than celebs and models. Although I have been inspired by the likes of Steve Mcqueen.

Trend Setter
    i'm sticking with the obvious alessandro squarzi and nick wooster. far far (and far) away from "unlikely", i know...

Trend Setter
    Harry Styles is a VERY good shout as an "unlikely" style icon, imo

As I play basketball, I'm gonna throw out a few NBA players who are somewhat unlikely from a UK perspective

Lebron James

At 6'8 and 250lbs (18ish stone), I think he pulls off some great looks that match his bodytype

Russell Westbrook

Super athletic player, with a whole heap of personality (which you can see through his geeky/quirky wardrobe). It's not for everyone, but given a lot of style is about personality (rather than what suits others) I think he pulls these looks together well

Trend Setter
    Not particularly "unlikely" more "unknown" probably. This is Matthias Schoenaerts, a Belgian actor from Antwerp who's breaking through internationally.
    He starred in movies like "Bullhead" and "Rust and Bone" and will be seen in movies this year next to James Gandolfini (his last roll ever) and Kate Winslet. His style is still a bit hit and miss, but I found a number of good pics. He's the face of the 2014 Louis Vuitton campagne.
    I think that, if he gets a good stylist, he could be the European Ryan Gosling.

+ Reply to Thread