FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

vintage tux, recommendations requested?

Hello all!
    I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the sartorial arts, so I would appreciate any tips you may have.

I just purchased a vintage tuxedo that, amazingly, fit me nearly perfectly. The trousers are a bit snug in the waist, but the salesperson inspected the seam and advised a tailor should be able to let them out 0.5-1" or so. The jacket fits perfectly but needs a bit of a stitch on the left cuff, I think, wear the cuff has come away from the lining.
    My debut of this ensemble will be at a holiday party, but I intend to keep wearing it in my part-time job as a Rat Pack-style big band director and emcee.

The tux is an After Six by Rudofker, my research on the jacket's label pegs it at around mid-1950s.
    It's midnight blue with a black satin shawl lapel, single button, and of course matching trousers with a black satin stripe.

I would appreciate some validation and/or suggestions on the following points to achieve a classic-yet-not-dated look:
    • The salesman sold me a bow tie, but - and I admit my lack of knowledge here - it seems rather puffy to the touch and appears a bit clown-like when I've tied it (although that may be due to my amateur skills at tying a real bow tie). Is there another I should investigate?
    • I also plan to get a pocket square - my wife is wearing a vintage 1960s pink chiffon dress with gold braiding, and I would like to add a dash of color that ties in with her dress. Dare I go with pink?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by jmgpdx68; 28-11-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: corrected a few minor errors

Trend Setter
    Excellent. If you can find a vintage dinner jacket in decent nick they are often beautiful and rather better made than most today.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgpdx68 View Post
    • The salesman sold me a bow tie, but - and I admit my lack of knowledge here - it seems rather puffy to the touch and appears a bit clown-like when I've tied it (although that may be due to my amateur skills at tying a real bow tie). Is there another I should investigate?
    • I also plan to get a pocket square - my wife is wearing a vintage 1960s pink chiffon dress with gold braiding, and I would like to add a dash of color that ties in with her dress. Dare I go with pink?
    • It is a little difficult to advise on the bow tie without seeing the one you've got. By 'clown-like' do you mean that it is big and floppy? If so, you might want to get one that is a bit narrower. A discrete slimline 50s or 60s style batwing bow tie would be a very different look to a large floppy ended 70s butterfly ended tie. The Black Tie Guide gives a very helpful illustration of different styles here: Black Tie Guide | Classic Neckwear Do bear in mind that the bow tie should generally match the facings on your lapels (shiny satin or ribbed silk).
    • The only way to see if pink might work is going to be to give it a try but (1) if you are going to make sure everything else about you outfit is ultra-conservative or it will look awful and (2) bear in mind that deep dark colours (wine red, bottle green) tend to work better. You could, however, easily have a pocketsquare with pink elements (say blue with pink spots).

Thanks and more info

Wolf, thanks for the excellent reply! I do believe the problem with the tie is my lack of skill, so T.B.D. on that point.

As for the pocket square, I'm looking at the two options below based on your advice, one being more conservative than the other.
    I do plan to fold the square in the classic flat style, so with the 2nd option, I would fold it with the stripes vertically and just peeking out about a half-inch, so I don't believe it would look too garish.

URL:- Rolling Rock - Navy/Fuschia (PSq) - Browse our Bow Ties, Cufflinks, Pocket Squares and Tie Bars
    URL:- Block Party Stripe - Plum/Lime/Pink/Navy (PSq) - Browse our Bow Ties, Cufflinks, Pocket Squares and Tie Bars

Trend Setter
    Good stuff. Definitely give it a go.

+ Reply to Thread