FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Slim fitting work shirts

Hi guys,

I know there have been other threads on this topic a while back, but has anyone had any luck finding any decent slim fitting formal shirts?

I've currently got the slimmest Charles Tyrwhitt offer and they fit absolutely horrendously. I don't think my proportions are outrageous, I'm about 6"1, 38inch chest, 30inch waist and about 15.5 collar.

I've also tried slim fit from Next and whilst they're a bit better than CT in terms of fit (definitely not quality), they're still not very great fitting and the shirt collars sit funny when worn under a blazer without a tie (which is essentially my work attire).

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ideally not looking to pay for made to measure shirts, surely there must be a more affordable option out there?

Trend Setter
    Have you tried TM Lewin's fitted range?
    I moved on to them after Charles Tyrwhitt changed their range.

They also have a supper fitted but they're too tight for me

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Have you tried TM Lewin's fitted range?
    I moved on to them after Charles Tyrwhitt changed their range.

They also have a supper fitted but they're too tight for me
    Thanks for the suggestion mate. Going by the website, their measurements are identical to CT's extra slim range (which is the range I have).

I think my problem is that my collar size means my shirts are too big for me everywhere else, might have to sacrifice that considering I rarely ever wear ties.

FashionBeans Legend
    You're a bit taller and slimmer than me but we've the same neck & chest size. Gonna sound like a broken record here, but Zara shirts fit great for me, including the neck (most of them anyway). Quality wise, fine for the price. Worth a look anyhow.
    I tried to live a double life, but my alter ego didn't understand the concept.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    You're a bit taller and slimmer than me but we've the same neck & chest size. Gonna sound like a broken record here, but Zara shirts fit great for me, including the neck (most of them anyway). Quality wise, fine for the price. Worth a look anyhow.
    Always been slightly apprehensive about buying work shirts from non-formalwear specific places as I imagine the sizing is more generic (as in small, medium, etc.) and quality may be suspect, but might be worth a punt considering the lack of options. Cheers mate!

Style Icon
    TML's super-fitted are more tapered at the waist than CT's slimmest cut.

I did same research as you earlier in the year and came across this article:
    Charles Tyrwhitt vs TM Lewin - a detailed review

And I proved it out in the shops. CT were awful for me, and TML damn-near perfect.
    Frame/shape/build is obviously a major factor, but worth giving a go.

You can't go wrong with the 'super fitted white luxury twill' shirt. 25 when multi-buy.

Style Icon
    I got a load of shirts (slimmest cut) from Charles tyrwhitt in the sale and got them tailored, my tailor charges me 6 a shirt so works out at like 28ish a shirt which is still cheaper than my next recommendation in their sales which is Reiss.

Quite happy with the quality and price of the CT shirts, their patterned stuff is awful though so I stick to the plain ones. The non iron shirts are a game changer, I still iron them but they are quite resistant to creases so they look great even after a long commute or sitting sesh! Reiss patterns like great though and their slim cuts are spot on, nice tight arms as well... Just pricey for a work shirt.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by StackedDeadActor View Post
    TML's super-fitted are more tapered at the waist than CT's slimmest cut.

I did same research as you earlier in the year and came across this article:
    Charles Tyrwhitt vs TM Lewin - a detailed review

And I proved it out in the shops. CT were awful for me, and TML damn-near perfect.
    Frame/shape/build is obviously a major factor, but worth giving a go.

You can't go wrong with the 'super fitted white luxury twill' shirt. 25 when multi-buy.
    Thanks mate, that article's really helpful. Think I'm probably going to take the punt on the TM Lewin ones, might go in store for a try on first!

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    I got a load of shirts (slimmest cut) from Charles tyrwhitt in the sale and got them tailored, my tailor charges me 6 a shirt so works out at like 28ish a shirt which is still cheaper than my next recommendation in their sales which is Reiss.

Quite happy with the quality and price of the CT shirts, their patterned stuff is awful though so I stick to the plain ones. The non iron shirts are a game changer, I still iron them but they are quite resistant to creases so they look great even after a long commute or sitting sesh! Reiss patterns like great though and their slim cuts are spot on, nice tight arms as well... Just pricey for a work shirt.
    Yeah non-iron is definitely the next move, my CT ones currently crease like no one's business! Don't have a tailor near me, not sure how good my local dry cleaners would be with alterations, but it's definitely worth considering.

Yeah Reiss is the dream really, I just need to go through a couple more pay grades until I'm ready to burn that eye-watering amount on a work shirt, even at sale price! Cheers King.

FashionBeans Legend
    Perry - the alterations person at the dry cleaners is typically fine for this type of work.

Style Icon
    Dalveys slim fit shirts are very slim and good quality. They could be a good option for you but are more expensive than TML and CT.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last