FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

What length do various pants need to be?

I'm 6'1 with disproportionately long legs and a small 30 inch waist.

Is this length OK for jeans?

I've got a top and side view of the different lengths, along with 2 sitting pictures. The leftmost image is when I sit down normally/comfortably and where my jeans will stay when I sit. The second image is when I loosen the crotch and pull them down a bit while sitting. I have to keep adjusting when I'm sitting to get this look and keep my legs not too bent.
    30/36 length (not sure why it got rotated):

Should chinos be the same length as jeans? I want to pickup 2 of these but I want to make sure I get the right length.
    Assuming I need 30/36 chinos - where in the world can I find these? I cannot find them in any local retailers.

How do you know when you should roll up your jeans or chinos and when they should break naturally?

What are the best colour options for chinos that go with my shoes?

What kind of socks should I wear under my shoes with 1) jeans and 2) chinos with the various shoes I have? Is no socks an option? Currently it is winter so I wouldn't do no socks though. I've posted my three shoes that I wear below:

Thank you very much for your help in advance! I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by fdart17; 02-12-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Missing a picture.

Trend Setter
    Isn't really the question, what do you feel comfortable with? My view is that it doesn't really matter greatly with jeans and the degree of break on other trousers depends on the width of the trouser leg (less the narrow the trouser leg).

I'm still wondering
    1) which socks are appropriate with the various pant/shoe combinations? I have absolutely no idea about this, until now I've always gotten plain white or black socks and I've never owned a pair of dress socks.
    2) When is it appropriate or not to roll up your pants at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Isn't really the question, what do you feel comfortable with? My view is that it doesn't really matter greatly with jeans and the degree of break on other trousers depends on the width of the trouser leg (less the narrow the trouser leg).
    Thank you for your reply. Fair enough.
    As mentioned they don't have my size in physical stores so I can't try various things on and see what looks good I have to do my research and hope for the best.

Trend Setter
    i'm 6'2 with longer legs than torso, although i'm a 32/34inch waist so slightly wider than you. I go for a 34inch inside leg all the time. i even get a 36inch leg sometimes if they look good rolled up.

I find 34 inch leg fits be bang on. so with you being an inch shorter you mind fall in between the 32/34 gap!

I wouldn't sweat over it too much. Its not like your jeans are halfway down your shoe, or you have ankle swingers on. They look pretty normal. I personally wouldn't like my jeans to hang around my shoes like they do in one of your pictures, they bunch a little bit. I go for slim fit jeans, they look like straight or boot cut in the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by laurencejames View Post
    i'm 6'2 with longer legs than torso, although i'm a 32/34inch waist so slightly wider than you. I go for a 34inch inside leg all the time. i even get a 36inch leg sometimes if they look good rolled up.

I find 34 inch leg fits be bang on. so with you being an inch shorter you mind fall in between the 32/34 gap!

I wouldn't sweat over it too much. Its not like your jeans are halfway down your shoe, or you have ankle swingers on. They look pretty normal. I personally wouldn't like my jeans to hang around my shoes like they do in one of your pictures, they bunch a little bit. I go for slim fit jeans, they look like straight or boot cut in the pictures?
    Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, they are straight. I bought those a few years ago. I'll be looking at getting a slim straight this time, or possible a slim.

Don't you find that with 34 length jeans, there is a lot of sock showing when you sit or does it look like my picture?

What socks do you wear when you roll up your jeans?

Trend Setter
    In the winter i just wear warm socks. i get unnaturally cold feet that takes priority over looks for me. In the summer i wear a socks from a top man multi pack i bought a while ago. need to update this summer but they consist of some bold colours and patterns.

I think everyones trousers rise up when they sit down mate, can't be helped! just get some cool coloured socks and embrace it!

if i was you i would definitely look towards slim jeans. not too baggy not too skinny. perfect fit for tall chaps like us!

+ Reply to Thread