FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Groom needs help with Relaxed wedding outfit

Hi, I'm getting married in 6 weeks time and need to get my outfit together. The wedding is going to be very casual. I'm trying to go for a smart and classy but casual look.

So far i've got these boots, which I love and i'm thinking of pairing them with some smart skinny jeans, but as for the top half i've got no ideas.

My budget is around 400, maybe a bit more

Any help in coming up with some ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Trend Setter
    I'm getting married in May next year and going for the same look. More causal and relaxed than formal. I got inspiration from our wedding photographer who shot a wedding where the groom nailed the look.

Check out the groom about a quarter of the way down the page here.

http://www.emmamoorephotography.co.uk/blog/page/2/

Tan boots, dark brown trousers, waistcoat, shirt, and neck tie. looks the real deal imo.

Trend Setter
    Like the boots mate, where did you get them from?

Cheers Laurence. They're from Hudson shoes, the link is here: http://www.hudsonshoes.com/swathmore-tan.html

Thanks for posting the wedding shots. I like the look but I think it's still a bit too formal for what i'm after. If if go for a suit I would want to dress it down a bit more I think.

Thanks mate
    Last edited by alierrett; 03-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Trend Setter
    Maybe it is just me, but jeans to a wedding - to your own wedding - sounds very informal. I presume that your bride is fine with this but unless you've been very clear in your invites as to the level of dressiness some of your guests are certainly going to be suprised. Personally, I'd wear something else - maybe a pair of dark coloured woollen trousers. They seem to be fashionable right now and bridge the smart/casual gap well as they pair easily with both and look appropriate for both.

I presume that you aren't thinking of wear a tie at all, given your level of formality, so a really nice shirt is required. I'd suggest a classic unfussy shirt. Look for good quality, reasonably heavy material that will sit well and be comfortable. Also ensure that the collar style is one that suits you. The current trend for ultra small collars doesn't flatter a lot of people and those with a long neck need a collar that sits up more. My preference would be for a plain white shirt.

And I would team it with a jacket. You want something that suggests a degree of formality without losing the relaxed casual look you've decided on. Tweed might be a way forward. Perhaps a brown barleycorn tweed or similar might be good. Think about corduroy or velvet blazers too, however. Both have a beautiful texture. A cord jacket in chocolate brown (with very thick cord) might go beautifully. Or a velvet jacket in a burgundy/wine red or deep green could add a luxurious edge to an informal look if you decide to go for something a little more evening wear/cocktail hour inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Maybe it is just me, but jeans to a wedding - to your own wedding - sounds very informal. I presume that your bride is fine with this but unless you've been very clear in your invites as to the level of dressiness some of your guests are certainly going to be suprised.
    Hi Wolf thanks for the help. We've been very clear on our invites with the level of dressiness and my parter is really keen on me wearing some jeans or something that informal.

It is hard trying to get the right balance between looking smart/casual and just looking too casual. That's why I came on here for some help

What do you think to this tweed jacket I saw recently

I was thinking of a really nice shirt and a nice jumper to go on top.

Thanks

Trend Setter
    I think the jacket will fit, as will the shirt. I like the whole look and the colour, though I am not a fan of the buttons (but those can be changed easily anyways). I can't however say something regarding the quality and the fit of ASOS, but I am sure some people on here do! Maybe you can also add a little color with a pocket square, if that's not too formal for what you're looking for.

Trend Setter
    The herringbone fabric is nice. I, personally, would prefer a more classic cut. This looks narrow and very short, which is trendy right now, but I like jackets that will cover at least most of my bottom.

With weddings you have to think about whether you want to look ultra sharp now but risk having having more embarrassing wedding photos in the future or a more classic look now and (hopefully) one that doesn't look quite so dated in the future.

I cannot comment on the quality of Asos clothing either. I would suggest trying on any jacket before I bought it, however, as it is good to see how it fits you.

It can be tricky finding a look that is very relaxed whilst not risking looking like you've not made any effort - good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The herringbone fabric is nice. I, personally, would prefer a more classic cut. This looks narrow and very short, which is trendy right now, but I like jackets that will cover at least most of my bottom.
    Yeah that's a good point. You couldn't point me in the direction of something with similar fabric but with more of a classic cut could you.
    It can be tricky finding a look that is very relaxed whilst not risking looking like you've not made any effort - good luck and keep us posted.
    I was also thinking that a waistcoat instead of a jumper would dress it up a bit and make it bit more formal. However I've no idea what would go with the tweed jacket. I don't think I would want a tweed waistcoat as well as the jacket. Do you have any ideas of what might look good?

Thanks, you guys have been really helpful so far

Trend Setter
    Unfortunately, I'm not bursting with recommendations for good places to look for jackets. I bought a nice Harris tweed jacket last year but that was because I stumbled across it in TK Maxx. It certainly might be worth having a look there and seeing what they'd got. Beyond that all I can say is that I've noticed tweed jackets increasingly in many stores. White Stuff had that looked ok when I was in the other day some (along with some waistcoats that you might like to take a look at). I didn't try them on but in general their stuff is fairly decent. Even M&S might be worth a try as they seem to have some decent things in. If TM Lewin are having a sale I'd suggest taking a look at their casual jackets and Austin Reed are in a similar category.

As for waistcoats, I can well understand that you might not want a tweed waistcoat if your jacket is tweed. In fact, unless they match, I'm not sure it would be a good look. Some sort of soft wool or maybe moleskin waistcoat would do you well, however. The colour would have to depend on the rest of your outfit but I'd suggest deep rich tones - burgundy, dark blue or greens might be good. Tan/buff would be more conservative but perhaps not so fun.

+ Reply to Thread