FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Can I wear a shawl collar suit to office or to a formal setting ?

Long story short, there is a store in my town having a huge discount on suits and blazers (75%), me not owning a suit I figured out that I can use the opportunity to get one.

The problem is by the time I got there most of the worthy/ good looking notch or peaked lapel suits were gone. The only remaining item that caught my eye was this navy suit with a shawl lapel, the lapel has two colors a thin black line, and the remaining is of the lapel has the same color with the suit, that is Navy.
    This is going to be my first and only suit/jacket if I buy it. Wondering if I could wear that to a formal setting or to office.

What are your opinions ? Any input will be appreciated.

FashionBeans Legend
    I think shawl collars are usually worn with black tie.. might be good to have one if you do a lot of formal events, but probably not a great choice for an office suit.

Okay, Thanks for the reply...
    My office has a flexible, non-strict dress code though, most workers dont even wear a suit except the executive at the top. Do you think it will work in that case ?

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWaraba View Post
    Okay, Thanks for the reply...
    My office has a flexible, non-strict dress code though, most workers dont even wear a suit except the executive at the top. Do you think it will work in that case ?
    Why do you want to wear a formal suit in a non-formal suit environment? Even at executive level, it would look out of place.

If you want to look smart without looking out of place, just buy a blazer - something that can be worn in a smart-casual way.

FashionBeans Legend
    I agree with DG. You may get the reaction of 'oh he dresses smartly, that's impressive', but you could easily get thoughts of 'what's he trying to prove?' and 'must have no imagination'.

A dark tweed blazer for when it's cold, a linen-mix one when it's warm would sort you out surely. Pair with appropriate trousers.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: robx4000

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Why do you want to wear a formal suit in a non-formal suit environment? Even at executive level, it would look out of place.

If you want to look smart without looking out of place, just buy a blazer - something that can be worn in a smart-casual way.
    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    I agree with DG. You may get the reaction of 'oh he dresses smartly, that's impressive', but you could easily get thoughts of 'what's he trying to prove?' and 'must have no imagination'.

A dark tweed blazer for when it's cold, a linen-mix one when it's warm would sort you out surely. Pair with appropriate trousers.
    Most men in our office just rock a shirt and formal pants, but some dudes also get away with T-shirts and jeans easily no big deal.
    The thing also is we are receiving a superior coming from abroad in few days, not like our team is having a special event for that, but I just though I would show up in a suit to make good impression or whatever, thing is also that maybe I'm eager to wear a suit cause I have never owed one before...
    Maybe I could just use the jacket of that shawl lapel suit as blazer and pair it with some matching-different color pants ?

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWaraba View Post
    Maybe I could just use the jacket of that shawl lapel suit as blazer and pair it with some matching-different color pants ?
    Get a blazer - like McCoy has recommended. With blazers like that, you can smarter them up with a shirt and trousers or go more casual with a tee shirt and chinos / jeans. They are very versatile.

Forget about the shawl lapel suit. It's a formal jacket - you'll look ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Get a blazer - like McCoy has recommended. With blazers like that, you can smarter them up with a shirt and trousers or go more casual with a tee shirt and chinos / jeans. They are very versatile.

Forget about the shawl lapel suit. It's a formal jacket - you'll look ridiculous.
    Thanks for the advice guys,

I am a dark skinned guy, on the darker side, think Akon type dark lol What color of Blazer you think will suit me best ?

Fashionisto
    Can't go wrong with navy or grey.

Des

FashionBeans Legend
    Seduced by the 75% but yeah if you gonna have one suit to see you through the shawl isn't gonna be the appropriate one. Get a grey blazer not navy. Cos i reckon you're just gonna get that shawl lapel one otherwise

+ Reply to Thread