FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Fashionisto

Help me buy my first pair of black skinnies

I'm looking for a pair of black skinnies that can be dressed up or down.

Will be wearing with plain tee's/shirts, leather jacket and minimal sneakers/ Chelsea's.

The ones I've tried on have been a deep black and I look like a black blob when wearing a black tee.

Would I be better with a washed out black?

Needs to be under 100

I recommend you go to somewhere like Zara/Topman and try a bunch on. I rep Zara and have like 16 pairs of black jeans, but no two pairs are the same, they're all different shades of black and they all do something different. Other people rep H&M and even Primark so get to the high street. Also they're like 30 retail so you can cop 3 pairs, I don't rate designer jeans so much.

FashionBeans Legend
    See if you can get a pair of Tube Tom/Tight Long John fit Nudies in the sales/outlets if you a 100 budget.

Must say though stay clear from Topman ones - the ones I have are total lint magnets (a real problem on black skinnies, which is why I rate the Nudie jeans so highly) and are not stretchy at all despite them purporting to be.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: robx4000

FashionBeans Legend
    Zara's jeans - if you find the right pair - are well worth the money.

Primark (actually only 10 a pair) are the bargain of the century.

Heven't tried H&M but heard good things.

All Saints are not much better than Primark but over 10 times the price.

April 77 are a notch up from these but again - not worth the price tage when you can get good quality denim on the high street.

I hate Topman.

ICA

Echoing what other are saying, HM are my go to

Washed black is the most versatile imo

Trend Setter
    Spend a bit extra and get Acne, they're unreal.

Style Icon
    I'll go against recent views on here and say it's still worth checking out AS cigs while you're doing the rounds. They're within your budget.
    I got a pair of Crows recently and love them. Those are full black.
    I think the Naniwa are their straight-washed black equivalent. I'll be trying them out next time I'm in store.
    And there's the classic Print, more of a casual washed black.

Compared to high street they're still 'expensive', though I'm used to pay Acne prices in recent times, so to me they're a bargain. And the fit is better on me.
    That said, all the cigs I've tried (in the same size) come up slightly different, so worth trying them all out if you can.

Still got love for my Acne Ace Ups for a washed black, but they're not true skinnies, and not as comfortable as the cigs for me. I s'pose this depends on your shape though, to a degree.

FashionBeans Legend
    The last pair of Cigs I got were shit.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    The last pair of Cigs I got were shit.
    Do you remember which ones they were?

I tried on the Prints when I got the Crows and didn't like them at all. Different material blend, very stretchy, felt cheaper. And even though they fit ok in the right places (cos of the stretch), I could easily pull them down with my hands in the pockets. (not so with the Crows).

The Carinis are the same as the Prints in that regard.

Maybe the majority of the Cigs are like that and I just lucked out with the Crows. I aint tried many different Cigs on to be fair.

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Do you remember which ones they were?

I tried on the Prints when I got the Crows and didn't like them at all. Different material blend, very stretchy, felt cheaper. And even though they fit ok in the right places (cos of the stretch), I could easily pull them down with my hands in the pockets. (not so with the Crows).

The Carinis are the same as the Prints in that regard.

Maybe the majority of the Cigs are like that and I just lucked out with the Crows. I aint tried many different Cigs on to be fair.
    They were the print Cigs. They went out of shape (baggy knees) and lost their colour in a few months. I have another pair from about 4 years ago and they look better than the new ones do. They've obviously cut back on quality despite upping the prices.

Wouldn't buy them again - a ten quid pair of Primark jeans are better. Even on fit.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last