FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
Results 11 to 20 of 75
  1. #11
    Abby Normal's Avatar

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    18
    Offline
    Ouch! I must confess I like the A&F plaid shirts. forgive me my brethren.
    Here's what I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole:
    Ed Hardy
    Marc Ecko
    Anything baggy
    Hoodies
    High top sneakers
    The Jersey Shore look in general

  2. #12

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    108
    Offline
    I have to admit I like A&F, Hollister and River Island.

    What I hate is cheap designer clothing. I'm unwilling to recognise anything you can pick up from MadHouse or TKMAX as designer. I'd love to see you walk into a Bond Street branch of said designer and buy a pair of their £50 jeans.

    People walking around in Prada or Burberry t-shirts because it's the only thing they could afford from the store. Yeah, congratulations for buying a t-shirt for £50.

    I think these designers should take a serious look at what they're doing to their own brands. Yeah, it's good and well coming up with a cheap range plastered in big logos to sell to the mugs that would rather spend their money on a label than a quality piece of clothing, but personally I wouldn't touch any of their brand anymore because of it.

    Designer frame glasses annoy me too. Yeah, well done, you went to specsavers. I'd love to know exactly how much input Hugo Boss put into those?


    EDIT: My little rant was typed on the train this morning from my phone, so needed a bit of reformatting.
    Last edited by PaulAnderson; 28-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.

  3. #13
    Daniel.'s Avatar

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    11
    Offline
    wow, after reading through the replies, it seems I almost agreed with every one of you on everything! Who knew I was that picky.

    Well, I guess I already knew, I just like to think I'm not.

    I agree Paul, I think it's exactly the opposite of what I would class as having style, or being 'fashion forward'. Everyone thinks they'll gain that extra bit of respect for displaying a respected brand on their outfit. I mean, think of football boots. Everyone buys the knew Adidas F-50s and the Nike Total-90s just because it's Nike and Adidas. Everyone respects those brands, so the ordinary man thinks he will get some of that respect for wearing their boots, no matter how much better or worse they play in them.
    Doing a little hunting, I found the sexiest brand of football boots ever. Never even heard of the brand before, but they were exactly what I felt I wanted.

    To me, buying it for the brand or even the latest fashion trend, is like buying the new Action Man when you were kids because your mates have it. You never got it because you thought you wanted it, but because everyone else got one.


    @Abby Normal - "The jersey shore look in general."

    Dear God, I feel like crying everytime I see those boys walking around the club with their shades and tight ed hardy t-shirts. Kids look up to these people.
    Sometimes I write my signature really fast when I have to sign for a parcel, because I feel like the delivery man is in a hurry to deliver the next one and I am keeping him waiting. But when I get to write my signature on paper, I take my time with it so the person will think "Wow that is a really great signature".

  4. #14
    Sam

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On the sofa
    Posts
    591
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAnderson View Post
    I have to admit I like A&F, Hollister and River Island.

    What I hate is cheap designer clothing. I'm unwilling to recognise anything you can pick up from MadHouse or TKMAX as designer. I'd love to see you walk into a Bond Street branch of said designer and buy a pair of their £50 jeans.

    People walking around in Prada or Burberry t-shirts because it's the only thing they could afford from the store. Yeah, congratulations for buying a t-shirt for £50.

    I think these designers should take a serious look at what they're doing to their own brands. Yeah, it's good and well coming up with a cheap range plastered in big logos to sell to the mugs that would rather spend their money on a label than a quality piece of clothing, but personally I wouldn't touch any of their brand anymore because of it.

    Designer frame glasses annoy me too. Yeah, well done, you went to specsavers. I'd love to know exactly how much input Hugo Boss put into those?


    EDIT: My little rant was typed on the train this morning from my phone, so needed a bit of reformatting.
    In what way exactly does a really nice piece heavily discounted at TK Maxx suddenly become a not very nice piece? You're hardly frugal.
    In the same way, how does a youngster going around in an Armani Exchange tee make a Giorgio Armani jacket any less desirable?
    Now, I actually wear Hugo Boss glasses, but the branding is very subtle. The draw is that they were the best looking pair in a very well stocked shop (Vision Express, lest you assume), and that the quality was okay. If that's true of a pair of specs then who cares whether it's branded? Branding on specs is usually pretty subtle anyway.
    I do agree that designer tees can be trite, but some designers (like Liam Gallagher's label Pretty Green) have nice, appealing logos that I'd wear on a tee in an instant.
    There's more to judge clothing by than how badly it's branded. I think you're being a bit harsh.

  5. #15
    Abby Normal's Avatar

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    18
    Offline
    Dear God, I feel like crying everytime I see those boys walking around the club with their shades and tight ed hardy t-shirts. Kids look up to these people.
    Well put. It's out of control on this side of the pond.
    The following link is not for the faint of heart: Hot Chicks with Douchebags

  6. #16
    Tone's Avatar

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    352
    Offline
    I agree with pretty much everything mentioned in this thread... just thought I'd add chinos tucked into military boots makes me cringe every time I see it.

  7. #17

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    108
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In what way exactly does a really nice piece heavily discounted at TK Maxx suddenly become a not very nice piece? You're hardly frugal.
    In the same way, how does a youngster going around in an Armani Exchange tee make a Giorgio Armani jacket any less desirable?
    Now, I actually wear Hugo Boss glasses, but the branding is very subtle. The draw is that they were the best looking pair in a very well stocked shop (Vision Express, lest you assume), and that the quality was okay. If that's true of a pair of specs then who cares whether it's branded? Branding on specs is usually pretty subtle anyway.
    I do agree that designer tees can be trite, but some designers (like Liam Gallagher's label Pretty Green) have nice, appealing logos that I'd wear on a tee in an instant.
    There's more to judge clothing by than how badly it's branded. I think you're being a bit harsh.
    Well, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a “really nice piece” in TKMaxx, whatever the cost.

    People don’t buy things from TKMaxx because they like them, they buy them because they think it is a designer label, and heavily discounted. In reality these items have probably been selected from a range of items that didn’t make a brands collection, and chances are the “original retail price” is as fictitious as the idea you’d ever see any of these products on the shelf anywhere else.

    My gripe is with people more interested in a label, then a quality item. I’d much sooner spend my money in Topman, River Island or Next than to spend the same money on something apparently heavily discounted.

    You have misread my post in regards the target of my rant. Again, my point was that Giorgio Armani will happily produce a plain, cotton (nothinig special) t-shirt with Giorgio Armani plastered on it for the people that just want to own something Armani. Could you honestly see somebody that could afford to shop in Armani regularly, walking around in these t-shirts?

    When I was getting into fashion, all I could see was the amount of baseball cap wearing chavvs walking around in their CK Boxers, their YSL shirts, their varsace classic jeans, their Ralph Laren Polos or their prada, armarni, pringle or burberry t-shirts.

    Now I think you’ve also misread my gripe with designer glasses. I have no issues with people just wanting a nice pair of glasses, and yes, chances are that the ones you like will end up being a designer frame if you buy from the high street. Again, my issue is with the people wanting the branding over any other factor. I see so many people making reference to their Gucci or Hugo Boss glasses by name. Do you think they would have bought the same pair for half the price if they were unbranded? I doubt it.

    I have reading glasses myself, and if I’m going to spend a lot of money on glasses, I’m going to get some made my a company renowned for making glasses, and not from a designer that have more than likely either just put their name to something, or had them cheaply made (same with sunglasses). I’d much sooner spend the money on a product than a name. I often get people ask what designer my glasses are. When I say they aren’t something they would have heard of, they often say why didn’t I get some Hugo Boss frames, or something. I mean really? Why? Surely they mentioned them because they liked them? What is this need for everybody to have big name brands?

    If this is not you, and you would happily buy a pair of unbranded glasses if you like them, and you honestly find things in TKMaxx you would have been willing to pay full price for, you are not the person I’m talking about. If not, I fear you will spend a lot of money trying to look like you have money, something that people with money don’t need to do.

  8. #18
    Ivan Condor Aasllani's Avatar

    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,702
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAnderson View Post
    Well, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a “really nice piece” in TKMaxx, whatever the cost.

    People don’t buy things from TKMaxx because they like them, they buy them because they think it is a designer label, and heavily discounted. In reality these items have probably been selected from a range of items that didn’t make a brands collection, and chances are the “original retail price” is as fictitious as the idea you’d ever see any of these products on the shelf anywhere else.

    My gripe is with people more interested in a label, then a quality item. I’d much sooner spend my money in Topman, River Island or Next than to spend the same money on something apparently heavily discounted.

    You have misread my post in regards the target of my rant. Again, my point was that Giorgio Armani will happily produce a plain, cotton (nothinig special) t-shirt with Giorgio Armani plastered on it for the people that just want to own something Armani. Could you honestly see somebody that could afford to shop in Armani regularly, walking around in these t-shirts?

    When I was getting into fashion, all I could see was the amount of baseball cap wearing chavvs walking around in their CK Boxers, their YSL shirts, their varsace classic jeans, their Ralph Laren Polos or their prada, armarni, pringle or burberry t-shirts.

    Now I think you’ve also misread my gripe with designer glasses. I have no issues with people just wanting a nice pair of glasses, and yes, chances are that the ones you like will end up being a designer frame if you buy from the high street. Again, my issue is with the people wanting the branding over any other factor. I see so many people making reference to their Gucci or Hugo Boss glasses by name. Do you think they would have bought the same pair for half the price if they were unbranded? I doubt it.

    I have reading glasses myself, and if I’m going to spend a lot of money on glasses, I’m going to get some made my a company renowned for making glasses, and not from a designer that have more than likely either just put their name to something, or had them cheaply made (same with sunglasses). I’d much sooner spend the money on a product than a name. I often get people ask what designer my glasses are. When I say they aren’t something they would have heard of, they often say why didn’t I get some Hugo Boss frames, or something. I mean really? Why? Surely they mentioned them because they liked them? What is this need for everybody to have big name brands?

    If this is not you, and you would happily buy a pair of unbranded glasses if you like them, and you honestly find things in TKMaxx you would have been willing to pay full price for, you are not the person I’m talking about. If not, I fear you will spend a lot of money trying to look like you have money, something that people with money don’t need to do.
    What a snobbish load of bollocks. Fashion isn't all about trying to prove how much money you have/don't have, mate. Some of us jusge people at face value, rather that making ridiculous conclusions about their financial well-being based on their attire. Fashion is about expressing the person you are and looking good, and everyone has a different idea of what looks good so if they want to wear a skintight Ed Hardy t-shirt, let them get on with it!

    I've found absolute gems in TK Maxx before, yet I also have numerous items of clothing from high end stores. It's all about being open minded to what you find, to be honest, I wouldn't choose something to make it look like I've spent a lot of money on it, I choose it for quality and design. So if I can get a pure wool Ralph Lauren cable knit sweater in TK Maxx for the same price as a shoddy Topman bit of polyester and viscose, you can guess where I'll be spending my money. It's ironic that you wax lyrical about quality and then espouse River Island and Topman as quality clothing retailers- I'm guessing you don't look at the care labels before you buy. You have no idea about quality clothing by the sound of it.

  9. #19

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    108
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    What a snobbish load of bollocks. Fashion isn't all about trying to prove how much money you have/don't have, mate.
    Are you really telling me that you don’t see people using clothes as a way of projecting a false image of how much money they have? I’m saying high end designers produce clothing aimed purely for these people, with big branding and no quality, and that I think that’s bad. I don’t see how that’s snobbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I wouldn't choose something to make it look like I've spent a lot of money on it, I choose it for quality and design.
    And neither would any of us here. I’m not talking about people interested in fashion or style, I’m talking about the people and designers abusing fashion and style for perceptions of status.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    It's ironic that you wax lyrical about quality and then espouse River Island and Topman as quality clothing retailers- I'm guessing you don't look at the care labels before you buy. You have no idea about quality clothing by the sound of it.
    How so? I don’t remember calling Topman a quality clothing retailer? I’m sure I said I would rather buy something from Topman than to waste money on poor quality with a brand name. Basically saying if I want poor quality, I will buy it without paying through the nose for a label.

    I have a fair mix of quality, more expensive items and cheap items. I also buy for quality, design and fit, but am happy to buy cheap to cover the essential basics. I don’t feel I need to feel ashamed for buying basic t-shirts from places like Topman or River Island,or chinos from Burton, especially for more fashionable items that I know I won’t be wearing in a years time.

  10. #20

    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Offline
    Just a question, why is everyone hating so much on hooded shirts/tops? I have a couple in my wardrobe that admittedly I dont often wear but if Im casualing it about on a saturday or sunday I might slip one on over a tshirt and never considered that a fashion faux pas.

    What is your reasoning?

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts